Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Martial arts for kids

<< < (4/5) > >>

machinisttx:
When my instructor had his own gym, he had a dedicated kids class. Kids from 5 or 6 and up, learning Tenth Planet(no gi) jiu jitsu, Muay Thai, and boxing. Some of those kids were pretty good, some were obviously just there because their parents put them in the class. He no longer teaches Karate at all that I'm aware of, though he was trained in it from age 4 by two different South Korean Grand Masters(not at the same time) who lived in his home.

I haven't started my son in anything, but I'm going to let him try everything that's available locally(except maybe eskrima and Kali) and see where he ends up since he has expressed an interest.

Marinesg1012:
I have my soon to be 4 year old son in Jujitsu, he took an interest in Ninja turtles and wanted to do "ninja" training we took him to karate and he wasn't a fan, when we left he said he wanted to wrestle. I called around and found a jujitsu place that would teach him (the instructor has a daughter his age so he can roll with her) my son loves it and would go every day if there was a class. The instructor has now started a kids group, before that he started at age 7 I think. There are 5 or 6 kids his age now and its great for them to get roll around. Him and his sister have both been in Gymnastics since they were about 2 which I think is a great starting point. It really helped them know to listen to another adult and work on thier skills plus they are both physically stronger then the other kids their age. Obviously them having an interest is the first priority with  finding a good instructor a close second.

acer72390:
Tommy Jefferson is right. I started off in Shotokan Karate as a kid which is similar to TKD. Now I teach Combat Sambo. I honestly think your best bet as an adult for self-defense is any of the following: Judo, Muay Thai, BJJ, or my favorites Sambo and Systema. I think that for now anything is great for a kid. To me the most important thing you are doing right now is putting values in place that will last a life time.

shadowalker_returns:
For young kids, I find TKD and Karate very appropriate. There are well developed programs for kids that are safe for all ages and fitness levels. The real key for any strike based Martial Art is Targeting. A properly executed strike to an appropriate target will be effective. The long term goal isn't street tough but street survival. This can be taught in TKD/Karate/Kung Fu or any of the modern arts. Its based primarily of the focus of the school. For younger children combatives is not really a good focus, "survival" is. The physical conditioning, confidence and close contact training will provide the foundation to build effective combative techniques . For my own children I've chosen Shotokan over MMA/BJJ or TKD. I dont find MMA/BJJ appropriate for any pre-teen kids. The risk of injury if the instructor is not really on the ball is simply to high. Also most MMA/BJJ Gyms in my area cater to the Testosterone crowd. Not the kind of people I want influencing my kids view of the martial arts (your experience may differ). In the end I went with Shotokan because I found it to be an ideal foundational art. I studied it when I was younger and it allowed me to transition into other combatives as I grew older and my needs and understanding of Martial Arts grew. For me the real purpose of the Martial Arts for youngsters is to provide physical conditioning, build self-confidence, increase willpower and instill a certain moral strength that will serve them throughout their lives. Most Karate/TKD Dojos with competent instructors can help accomplish this.

Regards,
Shadowalker

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: shadowalker_returns on November 28, 2016, 08:59:48 PM ---For young kids, I find TKD and Karate very appropriate. There are well developed programs for kids that are safe for all ages and fitness levels. The real key for any strike based Martial Art is Targeting. A properly executed strike to an appropriate target will be effective. The long term goal isn't street tough but street survival. This can be taught in TKD/Karate/Kung Fu or any of the modern arts. Its based primarily of the focus of the school. For younger children combatives is not really a good focus, "survival" is. The physical conditioning, confidence and close contact training will provide the foundation to build effective combative techniques . For my own children I've chosen Shotokan over MMA/BJJ or TKD. I dont find MMA/BJJ appropriate for any pre-teen kids. The risk of injury if the instructor is not really on the ball is simply to high. Also most MMA/BJJ Gyms in my area cater to the Testosterone crowd. Not the kind of people I want influencing my kids view of the martial arts (your experience may differ). In the end I went with Shotokan because I found it to be an ideal foundational art. I studied it when I was younger and it allowed me to transition into other combatives as I grew older and my needs and understanding of Martial Arts grew. For me the real purpose of the Martial Arts for youngsters is to provide physical conditioning, build self-confidence, increase willpower and instill a certain moral strength that will serve them throughout their lives. Most Karate/TKD Dojos with competent instructors can help accomplish this.

Regards,
Shadowalker

--- End quote ---

The experience my family has had with my daughter and BJJ has been positive so far (3 years).  I don't know if it is the rise of Rhonda Rousey or what but over 50% of her kids class is female.  I am sure there are places we would not want to do but we have had a good experience with the two places she has gone (switched locations due to moving, not any dissatisfaction). 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version