Author Topic: Can't find local like minded people!  (Read 292 times)

Offline nowhereman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Can't find local like minded people!
« on: January 03, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.    ;D

Trying very hard to find someone in my local area that is like minded.

I've tried advertising on Craigslist, contacting local hams, posted a note on the local grocery store bulletin board, etc, etc, etc.

Local church... well... is not the kind I'd like to join.

Gone to several regional events/conferences that might have like minded folks.

Gone online to search for people in my area doing the things I like to do.

So far... NOTHING! And it has been close to 10 years now. :(

I am interested in self-sufficiency, gardening and chickens, radio communications, alternative energy building things, wiring and plumbing things, etc. Not fanatical at all nor overly zealous. Just can't find anyone who isn't an hour away from here that even has a small percentage of those interests. If things all go bad, having prepper friends a 100 miles away isn't going to be very useful, unfortunately.

I am located in Wales, MA, near the CT border. It is pretty rural here so I can't believe everyone isn't interested or so secretive about their activities. Looking for someone within a 10 mile radius or so to develop a mutual assistance sort of relationship. Learn from each other and maybe swap some skills. Getting tired of going it alone although I've done pretty well so far. Looking for a person or small group of trustworthy people but I am losing steam thinking that someone else out here thinks the same way I do.

Any other suggestions? PLEASE?

/NWM

nelson96

Re: Can't find local like minded people!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
Long time lurker.....

So far... NOTHING! And it has been close to 10 years now. :(

To be blunt, after 10 years of having no one on your friend list (of like minded people), I suspect it may be you that is the problem.  Quit lurking and get engaged.  You might also try not to limit yourself to people that fit your personal definition of prepared and simply find friends that you can teach by example (give them time to accept your lifestyle on their own time- line, not yours).

I have way more friends that don't live my type of life style than those that do.  When the time comes, those friends that aren't prepared will know to come to my house when needed.  They may not come with food and water, but many of them have skills I don't have and will prove helpful in sustaining a community.

+1 for your first post (reaching out)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
You might not ever find a "flesh and blood" prepper community. That said, you probably have neighbors who can fix cars, weld, bake, hunt, etc. So I agree that having a group of talented friends is great. You're better off knowing a group of talented people than dedicated preppers sitting in the basement rewatching Red Dawn for the 50th time. If you're rural, a gardening club could become a CSA and voila you have a new business (just an idea, so many others).

I agree some inward looking helps; sometimes it gets tough to accept that you see things different and that builds walls mentally.

If you've read this forum a bit you know we're all dedicated to self sufficiency, new skills, freedom, and taking back our lives. But we still butt heads from time to time. You're never going to find that perfect kindred mindset.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 12:47:54 PM »
nowhereman, here are two recent threads that may be of some help:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=50063.0
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52574.0

A lot has been said there, maybe you'll find something you can use.  If not, just keep askin' questions.

Offline Jeff NH

• Survivor
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me.
    • Free State Project
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 01:43:31 PM »
Many of the suggestions from others are reasonable. I'll toss in one more. Consider moving. It is a big deal. I don't offer it lightly but at some point, whether it is lack of jobs, or other reasons, sometimes the best choice might in fact be to move someplace else. Having said that, moving IS a big step and you'd certainly not want to move and then find out that you are in the same boat someplace else...

At the very least, I'd suggest driving up to NH for the Free State Project liberty forum event in March. Who knows, you may even end up finding people from your local area that are visiting.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »
Or in my case, does it really matter you cannot find like minded people? From 1996 to 2011, there was no one with the homesteady type/prepping type like me. Then I found 'prepper/homesteading'community online and I am satisfied with that. Sure I see nelson, Archer, Tyana occasionally, but not as often as I would like.

Cedar

Offline nowhereman

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to come across all whiny but it has been frustrating. This thread is probably more of a rant about society's sad state than anything else.

I do have a good network of friends but they are all 100+ miles from here. I do have a couple of work friends that I "converted" to prepping but they don't live local enough. They are in the infancy stages of prepping but its a start. I was proud when one of them said that if all hell breaks loose he'll come to my place but bring food and a tent to stay in. :)

Moving isn't an option because all family and work is here and I put a lot of work into the homestead to give it all up.

I am very fortunate to have a wife and family on board so that helps TREMENDOUSLY! I truly wish for another couple that had similar interests nearby (close enough for dinner invites) to share all the cool stuff that happens here. Every once in a while I really do need some help with one of my projects.

I must live in a very "dead" area. Farming isn't overly popular, no garden clubs, no crime watch groups, no real communities that could foster meeting new folks. Trust me, I am constantly scanning local newspapers and other places for get togethers of that sort. I'd love to be engaged but have yet to find a way to do it.

I am very envious of people who have prepper neighbors, small mutual assistance groups, etc. in their area. I do come in contact with lots of people who hear and see the things I do and think it's great. You can actually see them jealous of it in a small way.  Unfortunately, for them, there is a football game on or they are too hung over when it comes to doing it themselves. Most people around here can't get off their smartphones long enough for a short polite conversation.

I guess I take some solace that I'm not the only one in this boat and I am lucky to have a family interested in all of this. The times I actually need another prepper are times when the snow is deep and travel is tough or some similar situation. Having a local person would be fantastic but I'll need to be satisfied with the bounty I have.

/NWM

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 05:02:39 PM »
Dude, I'm in Springfield.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
Ya know that's what I like about middle Tn. I can't hardly go anywhere around here without bumping into fellow preppers.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
I network with everyone I can here, but nobody lives close by.  Sure, I have been lucky enough to have a handful that were trustworthy enough to invite to a BBQ at my 'stead last summer, but it's not like any of us have a giant community of all preppers surrounding us.  I live in a community that is just remote enough that most people have generators and a few weeks deep pantry, but they're not "preppers" per se.  I'm a member of a Volunteer Fire Department, all people who are willing to get up at 3:00am to run into a burning home to save a total stranger, but none of them are "preppers" either.  But they are good neighbors and good friends who would give you the shirt off their backs.  That's who you want to network with. 

My opinion of "preppers" isn't all that great.  While there's plenty of good examples of good people on this forum, the majority of preppers I've met from other sources are 'lone wolf' types who would rather shoot their neighbor for trespassing than dig a little extra food out of their larder for them.  So choose your "like-minded" folks carefully. There's plenty of ways to meet good people.

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 06:20:26 PM »
Spoken well endurance....  Opposites attract and diversity fills the gaps, is what I got from it.  It's always worked for me.