Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > BOV Emergency Kits

supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov

(1/9) > >>

homeshow:
everyone has a different idea about their "perfect Bov" what about supplies in it?

5 gallon gas can allways full
maintain your spare tire and replace the crappy little spare donut with a full size wheel and tire from a junk yard.
my bob
bottle of fix-a-flat
a real portable floor jack (some of those "emergency tire jacks" are not safe)
basic tool box with wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, socket set, jumpercables, duct tape, different size of pipe clamps
a bottle of each type of fluid or oil your ride needs (brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, extra water)

i hope this encourages to keep your perfect BOV perfect.

please add to this list as you want.

khristopher23:
Great topic man +1, I know it's talked about some other places on here, but you're kinda taking it back to the basic stuff that even a non prepper should carry, or good fist steps. Some of these lists on the board are very elaborate, and to people who don't really have their BOVs ready yet, it might kinda be hard to try to figure out where to start. I think your list is a pretty good starting point.The items I'm bringing up are what I feel is the next step. Not really auto related, but bringing it more into the BOV status. These items are primarily inexpensive (most around the $25 range), and if someone starts with your list, these items are what I think of as step 2. Listed in order of importance IMO.

A flashlight

At least a gallon of water, just leave room in the container for expansion if it freezes.

A basic first aid kit. If nothing else, at least a $10 Wal Mart one, but a well thought out one is better.

A fire extinguisher

Jumper cables

Army wool blanket

Small cooler primarily with a three day food supply such as:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html
I think they call theirs a 10 day supply, but I think 3 is more like it. This might be a little over kill, especially to those of us in GA, where we don't stand a big chance of getting snowed in somewhere, but might come in handy if you spend much time in the woods.

If you didn't want to go as elaborate on the food thing, a small "6 pack" size cooler with several packs of crackers, cookies, granola bars..any ready to eat food ( that won't spoil or melt because of the heat) might be a better option. While you may not ever be stranded somewhere, you may be going down the road, get kind of hungry and not want to stop. A few food items such as these might be good to keep accessible. The cooler does a better job of keeping out bugs or rodents that may be drawn to your vehicle if the food is just laying there in a bag. Plus the cooler is there if you want to use it, just keep a bag handy to throw the food in if you want to use the cooler.

A small bag with one change of clothes (jeans, t shirt, socks, and underwear, maybe also a long sleeve shirt). This don't have to be new stuff. Depending on your needs, a pair of jeans of a t shirt with a small  hole or stain you may not otherwise want to wear. Other than the bug out reasons, there are plenty of reasons to keep spare clothes. You may get soaking wet, spill something on yourself, or if your single, and there is no telling where you might wake up, having a change of clothes ( and a ziplock bag with travel size toiletries) could come in handy.

A rifle and/or a handgun. If you usually carry a centerfire hand gun on you, maybe a .22 rifle in the BOV, unless you're really worried about an active shooter scenario, or zombie invasion, then you might want to step the rifle up a little. If you don't carry a pistol on you, (or even if you do and want a spare) maybe one in the glove box. This is assuming that this is legal in the area you live AND regularly travel in.

+ the items you mentioned above. I need to take my own advice though, considering MY vehicles don't contain all this, but it's where I want to be eventually.

jaat13:
Roadside flares! At least 3. Besides signaling, accidents,used as firestarters (don't light the whole thing,cut a small chunk and use your firesteel just be safe you don't want a severe burn to add to an already miseable mishap!go ahead and throw some burn gel in the f.a.k just to be covered.

Darkwinter:
Pen, Paper, Cell Phone, insuracne card, registration,and Camera

The number one emergency with a car is an Auto Accident.  Cell phone for Police/EMS.  Paper, Pen, and Camera for insurance.

Fenderbenders are more common than bug outs.

khristopher23:

--- Quote from: darkwinter on April 11, 2009, 10:24:09 AM ---Pen, Paper, Cell Phone, insuracne card, registration,and Camera

The number one emergency with a car is an Auto Accident.  Cell phone for Police/EMS.  Paper, Pen, and Camera for insurance.

Fenderbenders are more common than bug outs.

--- End quote ---

+1
Sometimes easy to overlook the obvious :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version