Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > BOV Emergency Kits

Forgot about flares!

<< < (2/5) > >>

endurance:
We had a similar incident happen on the Rampart Range about a decade ago.  Couple went to go camping in mid-to-late March, big snowstorm came in and dumped 3' of wet, heavy snow.  Road was impassable and they were 10-12 miles from the nearest human habitation of any kind.  The husband/boyfriend walked for help in jeans and died about 1.5 miles from the car.  Female was still in the vicinity of the car, died of exposure/hypothermia (can't recall if she was inside the car or not.  I'm pretty sure the car was out of gas when they found it).  Because of the time of year, the snow melted out in about a week and a half.  They clearly panicked and it cost them their lives.  Just the bare minimal in preps would have made a great adventure story to tell and they've be no worse for wear.  Even without 10 days of food, just the ability to create some heat and melt snow for warm water would have kept them going long enough.  Instead, they left a vague itinerary that didn't help search and rescue until it was too late.

jimbrtxva:
Also, use the triangle reflectors to save on flares.  They provide constant reflection all day.  Save flares for night or when you hear a vehicle.

TwoXForr:
A neat trick I learned recently with a glow stick for night signaling, tie a string to the end of the glow stick, then to signal twirl the glow stick in a circle, the speed in a circle makes a wonderful signal.  Give it a try.

RPZ:
Alternative in daytime would be a signal mirror. Cheap, simple and works with a simple visual Morse SOS. One of these might work even to signal passing airliners at altitude.

Remember that any signal attempts with aircraft other than dedicated SAR there's a better chance of them seeing you the farther away they are, coming towards your direction or flying 90 degrees to your position as most passsenger planes have very limited view below and none behind.

A good investment too might be one of the marine type flare kits. An Orion flare pistol and a half dozen flares is not out of reach for most people, and unlike fires they can be put into action "right now".

There are also various strobe light to be had which are cheap to buy and can be left on at night if you need to sleep. Just place it on the most exposed open piece of ground nearby (or attach one to a stick in the ground if there is deep snow) so they can be seen from the greatest distance possible. Have spare batteries and maybe a redundant unit or two.

Where legal (and they are in most all places I know of) a blank firing pistol can be used to attract attention and in mountainous terrain in cold air sound travels a great distance. Have plenty of "ammo" and fire three shots about three seconds apart at half hour or hour intervals in daytime.

doublehelix:
I always keep a 10 minute highway flare in my bob to start wet things on fire  ;D

Just don't inhale the fumes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version