Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > BOV Emergency Kits

Forgot about flares!

(1/5) > >>

nctrees:
Saw some automotive flares sitting on the shelf at TrueValue.  Reminded me of watching the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Kim#Snowbound Kati Kim story.  The husband, wife and child were stranded in their vehicle in the snow for ~8 days. At one point she said her husband removed the spare tire and planned to burn it to signal for help.

At some point they heard a helicopter or airplane close by.  He went to set the tire on fire using kindling (including his daughters stuffed animal) but couldn't get a good fire going good enough in the snow to get the tire to catch fire.  Needless to say the aircraft left and wasn't heard from again.  The story ends in the husband trying to walk to get help and dies.  Wife and child picked up about a day later when spotted by helicopters.  I think about 7 days after they tried to signal the first one.

Now from my dad letting me have ones that were old to play with as a kid, I know they burn really hot, very visible, and can melt through chain link fencing ;).  I already had large glowsticks in our vehicles for signaling, but no flares.  I picked up 3 for each vehicle.  Maybe if I ever need to get a fire/tire burning quickly, the flares will accomplish the job.

endurance:
Just be sure to puncture the tire before igniting.  The alternative is having flaming chunks of tire hurled at hundreds of feet per second in all directions.  That'll mess up a guy's day.

homeshow:
on the other hand that should be easy to see from a distance.

nctrees:

--- Quote from: endurance on April 13, 2011, 02:22:35 PM ---Just be sure to puncture the tire before igniting.  The alternative is having flaming chunks of tire hurled at hundreds of feet per second in all directions.  That'll mess up a guy's day.

--- End quote ---

LOL.  Yeah, I took that into account when thinking about it :)

Asclepius:
The mistakes made by the Kim family are great examples of everything you should not do. The situation they got themselves into is avoidable by just about everybody.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version