Farm, Garden and The Land > Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging

Fruit Tree Orchard Planning

<< < (2/2)

JLMissouri:
 I have had good luck with several kinds of peaches, pears and apples. I woulld have to look at my records for the type of peach trees, as I have two varieties. For apples I have winsap, golden/red delicious, and granny smith. They are all doing good. They are all dwarf. Apples produced the second year, and peaches produced the first year.

I have wild plum trees on my place, but the bugs will get them before they have a chance to grow. I have several apricot trees, but they have yet to produce. I have had the best luck with the pear tree. It is a dwarf tree that was in the original orchard my parents planted in 1984. Dwarf trees are not even suppose to live this long, but it will produce a butt load of pears every year, it is the sole survivor of the original orchard, as no one lived here from 86-02.

spartan:
Some general recommendations:

1.  Call your local extension office and ask them what varieties of each tree grows well in your area and which are used for commercial production.
2.  Visit local nurseries and garden centers to see if they sell those types and if possible buy your plants there.

These two steps helped my planning for berries a much easier process.  I know upfront which ones tolerate the strange mix of weather we have here.  I live in zone 6a that acts more like 5b, which changes my plant choices.  By buying the varieties known to the extension office, they have a better ability to assist me if I have questions about specific pests or diseases that may afflict me.

Most of the nursery plants here come from local providers, so have become established under similar conditions.  Finally, buying locally allows me to deal with a person who has a vested interest in keeping me a customer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version