Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Inline caplock rifles

<< < (2/6) > >>

Knecht:
Oh yeah, I really do enjoy smelling blackpowder smoke!
I'll see how the deal end up, I should meet the seller in couple days.

Knecht:
Ok, I got it today. Very little used one, like new. Good price.
Since I never shot patched bullets from a rifled muzzleloader, any such advice is welcome! All my blackpowder experience is about round balls in smoothbore.

Mortblanc:
OK Knecht, here goes with rifled ML 101.

Caliber is probably .50". 

For shooting patched round ball choose a ball .001 under size, .490. 

Use a greased patch cut from pillow ticking, or just plain cotton denim from an old pair of jeans. I don't know what you have available in the Chech area. 

For grease plain shortening will work.  So will olive oil, vegetable oil.  Even chewing the patch and moistening it with spit will suffice.

Starting load should be 50 grains 2f.  Increase charge to the max effective balance between power and accuracy.

Wrap the ball in the greased patch and shove it down the bore firmly on top of the powder charge,

Cap and shoot.

There are several different types of bullets and propellants one can use in a modern in-line.  Saboted bullets, full bore sized slugs that engrave the rifling, solid powder pellets and artificial BP can all be used.

If you google the subject you will have weeks of research to read and thousands of opinions.

With a BP rifle all of life turns into an experiment.  Changing powder charge by a couple of grains can make great changes in accuracy as can thickness and texture of the patch material.....

One load will shoot into 5cm @100m and the next will not stay on the target backer.

Knecht:
Thanks!
Yes, it's 50cal. Next to my old 18mm wheellock, it looks like something I borrowed from my little brother :)
Patching materials - I have all kinds of fabric and even soft leather (deer and such, I found some people like it for patching), as a result of my long reenactment career.
Are you sure about the load? My local seller's site says that due to different rifling of the modern inlines, designed mainly for sabots, one should fire lead bullets with 30grains of BP tops. But maybe our powder is made stronger.

Mortblanc:

--- Quote from: Knecht on January 03, 2014, 01:57:26 AM ---Thanks!
Yes, it's 50cal. Next to my old 18mm wheellock, it looks like something I borrowed from my little brother :)
Patching materials - I have all kinds of fabric and even soft leather (deer and such, I found some people like it for patching), as a result of my long reenactment career.
Are you sure about the load? My local seller's site says that due to different rifling of the modern inlines, designed mainly for sabots, one should fire lead bullets with 30grains of BP tops. But maybe our powder is made stronger.

--- End quote ---

All of the official recommendations are to use wimp loads when shooting round ball in the inline rifles.  They claim it is the fast twist, but that is not the reason, since many of the old jaeger rifles and the American Hawkins had fast twist or gain twist rifling, often as fast as 1turn/32".

The real culprit is the extremely shallow rifling.  If the proper ball/patch combination is not used the rifling with strip the ball as it goes down the barrel instead of grabbing it and turning it.

You will have to experiment and see just how fast you can drive the ball and still retain accuracy.  Find that balance point. 

The real problem is that many rifles must reach a power level to achieve their accuracy potential.  One must hope that they can find an accurate platform above the lowest level needed, but below the point when the rifling strips.

Even if you are restricted to 30gn charge you will still have an excellent small game/plinking load at mush less cost than the saboted loads.

Over here the saboted loads can cost up to $1.00 per shot, while I can cast round balls from scrap lead and shoot for the cost of the powder/caps (around $0.04 US).

There is a compromise in the Lee REAL slugs.  They are elongated slugs cast at full bore size and the rifling is forced into the slug as it is loaded.  Thompson Center offers the same thing in their Maxiballs. 

They are probably the best of both worlds.  Cheap lead cast into an efficient slug for the inline.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130069/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-50-250-real-50-caliber-517-diameter-250-grain-real

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version