Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Inline caplock rifles

(1/6) > >>

Knecht:
Anyone here has and uses modern caplock inline rifles? Namely Ardesa? I like the short Tracker model...they are pretty cheap here and I was thinking about getting one. I've been around black powder for a while, but always just historical guns, none of these modern ones. Any information and advice welcome, regarding brand, caliber, bullet choice, shooting sabot or ball, possible hunting applications...

bdhutier:
The inline design is not modern, and has been around as long as percussion caps, along with the side hammer, and under-hammer.  Of course, the use of 209 shotgun primers is new, as is electronic ignition.  Mainly (I think), the animosity towards inclines from blackpowder "purists" comes from the 209 usage, and the fact that current designs have strayed far from your typical antique look.  Then again, so do most of the "Hawken" rifles manufactured today, but they're at least in the ballpark.  Since you're a reenactor and own matchlocks, and are looking at buying a modern inline, I'm guessing you really don't care about that here, and are looking only from the perspective of functionality.

That said, Ardesa manufactures firearms here under the brand Traditions.  Hate them or love them, My opinion of Traditions based on products I've owned is: they're fine.  Not spectacular, but not garbage.  I have never owned a modern inline, so I can't speak there.  For caliber, I would go with the ever versatile .50.  Just enough juice to take a moose, but enough finesse to take rabbits.  My understanding of these rifles is they are designed to run sabots.  It would certainly he worth testing PRBs to see how they perform at different load ranges.  Although designed for Minie balls, most muskets will sling PRBs like a champ with a properly worked load.

GL!

Knecht:
Thanks!
I advertised on local gun site that I'm looking for one and already got a nice offer, so I guess I'll take it.
I don't own any matchlocks now, just two wheellocks (carbine and pistol), plus my GF has a flintlock. I also got a caplock doublebarrel shotgun recently, but it's still being worked on before it can be shot again.
Looking forward to try a caplock rifle.

bdhutier:

--- Quote from: Knecht on December 26, 2013, 12:25:51 PM ---I don't own any matchlocks now, just two wheellocks (carbine and pistol)...

--- End quote ---

That's right!   :-[  Big difference!

Mortblanc:
I have always been a traditional side-lock shooter, be it flint or cap, but I confess to having a scope sighted in-line in the rack and I really do love experimenting with it!

I shoot anything and everything from it from saboted jacketed bullets to patched round ball. 

Mine uses #11 percussion caps so I can use the toy ring caps or my own Tap-O-Cap production.  It was a dirt cheap purchase because it does not use the 209 primers.  I did not want the 209 primers, but I sure did talk the guy down because it would not use them!  For all practical purposes I paid the guy for the red dot scope that was on the rail and he threw the rifle that was carrying them in for free.  I moved the red dot to one of my competition pistols and replaced it with a Simmons scope.

I must honestly admit that my in-line will outshoot any of my side-locks using patched round ball.  Some will say that the twist is to fast for PRB, but many of the old time guns had exceptionally fast twist, and you have to keep the charge down to "reasonable" levels, but 70 grains of 2f behind a .50 round ball is still a good load for most medium sized game.

Of course the scope helps too!

No the pioneers did not use them, but some of those pioneers died of starvation!

If you get a good deal on one buy it, play with it and enjoy smelling real gunpowder. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version