Author Topic: Aquaponics  (Read 11424 times)

Offline meancoyote

• Prepper
Aquaponics
« on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
This is my fish raising setup, I have raised 100 catfish to 2 pounds in it. I have bluegill in it now. The tank is 1200 gallons, The IBC is used as a filter, it is filled with a few thousand shredded plastic bottles for filter media, also it is setup for aquaponics too, I have grown lettice, mint and watercress. The water from the tank waters my raised bed gardens from a pump and timer, and the tank is kept full with a float valve.

millerized1

Re: Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »
I applaud your engineering and your ingenuity. If there was just some way to recycle your waste into the stream, you'd have a complete circle of life :)
Nice Job!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:11:01 AM »
+1 nice. Can we get more details on how you did this?

Ebbtide

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
I'd also like some more info and pics if you will Thanks!

Offline meancoyote

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:00:23 PM »

Offline Synaptoman

• Survivor
    • Synaptoman
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21:38 AM »
If there was just some way to recycle your waste into the stream, you'd have a complete circle of life

Mmmm, that may not be that far off.  We have integrated chickens into our Aquaponic systems and the chicken poop sure makes great Tilapia food.

Read all about it here;

http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/08/02/aquaponics-101-chicken-sht-and-swimming-pools/

Cheers

Synaptoman

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »
I can't believe I've never heard of aquaponics before now.  This stuff is amazing!  I have that feeling... of yet another hobby/obsession coming on.  Must resist...

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
I can't believe I've never heard of aquaponics before now.  This stuff is amazing!  I have that feeling... of yet another hobby/obsession coming on.  Must resist...

Good luck with the resistance. I read a couple posts, checked out a few websites and I cant stop daydreaming about it. I have always liked and kept aquariums except when I was in the military so I instantly was attracted to aquaponics and yeah its definitely already in the hobsession category. I see a 10 inch piece of pvc and I immediately think I might be able to use that in my aquaponics construction process. Its addresses several issues for the survivalist: Water storage, meat (fish and now chicken), and gardening. This is the kind of stuff that people should be getting huge tax breaks for doing. I am into this as soon as I can get some accommodations up My tank will have to be above ground and inside because of heat so its the green house first then the aquaponic setup. I have 30 experience keeping fish in aquariums of all sizes and shapes So I think I can handle the fish end and Ill just keep trying the gardening until I get it right. I am so tempted to just go to the bank a get nice fat loan and have it all right now but I will wait....

meancoyote, Synaptoman ...
You guys are all over it.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing.

forfreedom

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
meancoyote,

Some of us engineering challenged and plain impatient, will pay $15 or so for a detailed manual. I will anyway.

Offline meancoyote

• Prepper

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 02:15:16 AM »
I have been watching this for a couple of years now, devouring all the info I can.
My bookmarks on the topic: http://delicious.com/creuzerm/aquaponics

I was quite tickled when I stumbled across a booth at the Wisconsin State fair that dealt with aquaponics this summer.

I have been slowly accumulating the pieces I need to build an very small scale, indoor version. At this point, I am probably $50 and a free weekend away from having a running system. I really need to just take the plunge and do it. I think that my biggest foot-dragger is that I am in an apartment and would have to take it down to move it every year. I have been trying to stage the pieces so if I get a place of my own I can take that plunge quickly after moving in.

Coyote

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:59:47 AM »
I have a small scale setup that I've been 'getting my feet wet' with for the past two years.  Hoping to score a free pool off of freecycle or a similiar site this summer to expand.  Great setup! Synaptoman...very interesting setup with the chickens.  Who would have thought...

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:49 PM »
man i wish i had the land to do this.  Great set up meancoyote and cool idea  Synaptoman of adding the chickens