Energy Options > Solar Power

Covering solar panels when not in use - any suggestions?

<< < (2/2)

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Carl on July 18, 2017, 09:15:18 AM ---  If the system works with a battery bank,How do you plan to maintain the battery bank?
Properly produced panels are made to survive being in the weather and the system will be at it's best if USED to power something within it's capacity so as to exercise the batteries and maintain system integrity.

--- End quote ---

Right.  I've seen permanent installs on boats and RVs.  Some of those are subjected to fairly extreme elements.

Cedar:
I was presuming he was going to unhook and store the batteries, but yes, you are right.

Cedar

Carl:
  Batteries go 'bad' slowly from the day they are made.
They last longer when charged AND DISCHARGED within design parameters. What I refer to as "exercise"

buckaroo:

--- Quote from: Carl on July 18, 2017, 09:15:18 AM ---  If the system works with a battery bank,How do you plan to maintain the battery bank?
Properly produced panels are made to survive being in the weather and the system will be at it's best if USED to power something within it's capacity so as to exercise the batteries and maintain system integrity.

--- End quote ---

This^^^
I just completed a system on our cabin and pondered the same question as I left for the first time......the research and advice I got was to leave it running as usual. The batteries do need to be 'exercised' and the panels should last 20+ years at least anyway. So why not just leave them as is? If you were to have a concern with hail or rodents then I would say build a wire cage, very light, to just lift on and off. This would allow them to still charge the batteries...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version