Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Medical Needs and First Aid

Honey for wound care

<< < (3/11) > >>

Cedar:

--- Quote from: Robinelli on July 03, 2011, 09:38:21 PM ---I'm confused, will ANY honey work for this purpose?

--- End quote ---

Yes, but that said, there are some that some people think work better than others... I use (used to) from my own hive, from my friends hive across the counry and run of the mill from Costco.

Cedar

drthumbs:
The wound care department at our hospital is using  Medihoney.  It is a patch dressing using Manuka honey.  It is produced by bees servicing the Manuka flower in New Zealand ans is reported to have the best antimicrobial and properties., however, all honey is said to be effective.  The staff at the wound care have told me that they were very impressed with the results

http://www.shoppri.com/store/cosmetics/wound-care/medihoney-2x2-dressings

As far as Honeys use in relieving allergies, I  have first hand knowledge of this.  When I cam back to Texas after the Marine Corps, my allergies were killing me.  My mother gave me a quart of local honey and instructed me to eat at least one table spoon (in food or straight)three time a day till I fished the quart.  It took me about two weeks and with in a week or two I was not having problems any longer.   That  lasted about 2 years and then I did it again and that lasted about 4 years.  I now consume about a pint or so a year of LOCAL honey.  I have not had allergy problems in 10 years.

The key seems to be to source your honey as close to where you live as possible.  I also prefer raw honey.  I have no evidence that it is any better  at all, but it is my prefrence

Robinelli:
I've done a lot of reading on this now and I am VERY impressed. Thanks so much for this wonderful topic! I'm in nursing school now working on my BSN (not long and I'll be done) and these topics are my passion. I'm so excited about this and I will definitely try it.

arrowbreaker:
Honey is amazing, if I remember correctly the only bacteria that can survive in it is botulism - but everything else will die

LdMorgan:

--- Quote from: Gadget on June 21, 2011, 08:37:17 PM ---Sorry for hijacking the thread, but like Welshman posted, petroleum solvents work great on cuts. WD40 is one of the best due to the smell, but gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, etc. are in the same family. My daughter had a cut on her hand from a wreck that she couldn't keep a dressing on. I had her spray WD40 on it and it stopped bleeding immediately and quit hurting. I use it all the time. By the way, it doesn't sting either.

--- End quote ---

Umm--I wouldn't recommend using gasoline for any kind of first aid. Modern gasoline has much more vicious chemistry in it than the leaded variety of old. 

I find it burns/blisters my skin on contact, and when it gets into an open cut it hurts worse than Sabre-tooth Crotch Crickets.

I'm brave enough to give WD-40 a fair shot (gonna try it next time I spring a leak) but I'll pass on the BP Super premium.

Which I wouldn't buy anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version