Energy Options > Wind Power

U.S. says wind could power 20 percent of eastern grid

<< < (2/3) > >>

TexasGirl:
I echo these sentiments. At current electric rates, (or even double) wind farms are not economically feasible.

"Follow the money."

Look at who is promoting this, how much money will be thrown at it, and who ends up getting the money.

~TG

nelson96:
But they are so beautiful scatterd across our landscape.

TexasGirl:

--- Quote from: nelson96 on February 01, 2014, 10:10:31 AM ---But they are so beautiful scatterd across our landscape.

--- End quote ---

And they screw with our radar defense systems.

~TG. (I'll shut up now)

Bonnieblue2A:

--- Quote from: TexasGirl on February 01, 2014, 10:13:42 AM ---And they screw with our radar defense systems.

~TG. (I'll shut up now)

--- End quote ---

They also tend to be located in major migratory flyways. Major bird killers.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-many-birds-do-wind-turbines-really-kill-180948154/

Follow the subsidies and follow the political connections of the corporations and people involved.

General Electric took subsidies and then shut down its turbine manufacturing in the USA, sent jobs to China.  Boone Pickens has ridden the energy subsidy gravy train for decades; first with oil, then tilting windmills, now seeking subsidies for CNG stations. That's just a  couple.

David in MN:
I always thought the problem was the limit on transmitting power over distance. The highest energy need just isn't where the wind is...

The depreciation schedule on turbines seems to be bogus. Without the gov propping up the industry it probably wouldn't exist. That's not to say it's a bad idea or will never work, it's just not there yet.

Lastly, I get rather pissed off when my government comes up with schemes to save energy. They want to save energy? End a war or two. I'm not sure about the gas mileage on an M1A1 Abrams, but it ain't a Honda Civic. Maybe shut down those big gov motorcades? Does the presidential limo conform to CAFE? How about some telecommuting instead of flying back and forth from a home state to Moscow on the Potomac? Maybe the NSA could turn off a computer or two. Maybe the Library of Congress doesn't need to record every tweet. I'd love to know the annualized energy costs for the white house, congress, senate, capital, pentagon, Air Force 1, Marine 1, Camp David, and every building housing the FBI, CIA, NSA, EPA, FCC, FDIC, FED, etc.

I'm sick of these asshats trying to make me feel guilty about using my toaster while they squander energy constantly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version