Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The Homebrewer's Board

Is Beer Getting too Boozy?

<< < (3/3)

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Sailor on April 12, 2018, 07:17:32 PM ---Another annoying trend, charging the same for a 4 pack that used to be a 6 pack.

--- End quote ---

Yeah - when did $9.99 become normal for a decent six pack?

David in MN:
Today I spent $15 on a 6 pack of Bell's "The Oracle" Double IPA. New to my area.

It's got almost no nose, hefty malt and super bitter. As a brewer and beer lover IT'S NOT INTERESTING. But it does its job clocking in at 10% ABV.

I don't get it. The beer world is going super bitter with dullard hops and crazy booze.

As a brewer I must ask why one would brew a beer over 6% and not try to get a yeast flavor unless you are doing a British barleywine? And a good barleywine rounds out with a decade of age on it. It's not some cheapo hop with too much alcohol behind it.

If you're a hop-head do yourself a favor. Buy a 12 of Sierra Nevada Celebration and age it a year. Buy a couple bottles of JW Lees Harvest Ales. Any IPA over 7% just won't give the flavor you should want.

This is why I go mad as a Belgian fan. We use telltale hops and super funky yeast to get a unique beer. We love finding bubble gum and clove in the yeasty head. But the modern IPAs are nothing but black pepper and cardboard.

AvenueQ:
Bell's is out of Kalamazoo, MI, they have other beers that are quite good (I miss my Oberon summer release).

I do kind of agree about the out of control ABV of some beers though, we saw that a little in Denver and also see it here in Reno/northern Cali. Some are good, but by and large I tend to avoid them, mostly because I get tipsy off a half-pint  :P

David in MN:

--- Quote from: AvenueQ on August 17, 2018, 08:20:58 PM ---Bell's is out of Kalamazoo, MI, they have other beers that are quite good (I miss my Oberon summer release).

I do kind of agree about the out of control ABV of some beers though, we saw that a little in Denver and also see it here in Reno/northern Cali. Some are good, but by and large I tend to avoid them, mostly because I get tipsy off a half-pint  :P

--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to crap on Bells. They make some great beers. And high gravity beers are some of my favorite. I love La Fin du Monde, Maudite, Chimay, Duvel, Baltica 6, and many other high gravity beers. The French/Belgian farmhouse styles are my favorite. There are also plenty of great high alcohol IPAs. Surly's Todd the Axeman comes to mind.

I'm also not afraid of big hoppy weirdo beers. I've brewed Jeff Bagby's "Hop Whompus Ale" which is (if memory serves) 11% ABV and requires putting hops in the keg. It's interesting and has depth of flavor that any beer lover would want to contemplate and discuss.

What I see now is totally different. The beer companies are falling over each other to toss out cheaply made high gravity bitter booze with all the quality of plastic jug vodka. As a brewer I can usually tell by taste the grains, hops, and yeast. The modern crop of IPAs are being made by accountants, not brewers. They are nothing but marketing and alcohol.

fritz_monroe:
In my area, there are tons of small breweries with tap houses opening up.  All the beer is decent.  All of them put out a high ABV beer.  Some are ok, others aren't.  What I

What I'm seeing is that for the really small brewers, everything they put on their regular taps is very good.  Most of them have an experimental tap where they try out their small batches and want feedback.  It's annoying to me that they charge the same for the experimental as their known good stuff.

The latest trend they are doing is the Northeastern IPA.  It's  hazy and fruity tasting.  But the bitterness is less than a what they have been putting out.  I'm not a fan of bitter, so this is a good thing for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version