Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 471246 times)

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1320 on: October 11, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Maybe 22's are coming back. My husband bought 10 boxes (of 50 rounds) at Academy last week for about $20

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1321 on: October 12, 2015, 06:45:12 PM »
WOW! I was at my gun shop and the best they had was 8 cents a round. Most was 15 cents a round.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #1322 on: October 14, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
Plenty of .223 around. Saw some .22mag just no lr.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #1323 on: October 15, 2015, 05:23:56 AM »
Maybe 22's are coming back. My husband bought 10 boxes (of 50 rounds) at Academy last week for about $20

Man's greatest fear is that he will be in a coma and she will sell his stuff for what he said he paid for it....

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: October 15, 2015, 07:58:29 AM »
Man's greatest fear is that he will be in a coma and she will sell his stuff for what he said he paid for it....

Ha!   ;D 

In this case, though, he probably wasn't lying.  Academy stores around here all seem to be keeping the Aguila and Federal .22LR in stock for $2.29 a box.  All the stores I've been to have a three-box limit, though (which is why it's usually in stock), so either he hit several stores, or he knows the guy behind the counter.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #1325 on: October 15, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
We have been seeing shipments improve. It's still lean in supply, but our shop has a decent amount in stock, and we have been dropping our prices. Still not where it was, but I expect a higher floor to the prices anyway. The cost from the manufacturers is up from where it used to be. Not a lot, but it is noticeable.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1326 on: October 15, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »
A correction to my last post:  I was at Academy today, and they have raised their limit to 500 rounds at one time.  They had a decent supply of about seven or eight kinds of .22 ammo, at what are pretty much "normal" prices for today (i.e. $25 for a brick of Thunderbolts, $18 for a 325-round box of Federal Automatch).

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1327 on: October 17, 2015, 11:37:20 PM »
Yep, Academy raised their limits.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #1328 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
Seeing the same thing in the Academy Sports in my area.  Usually 5-8 different brands/specs, cheap stuff starting in the $2.50 for 50 rds range up to $7 or $8 per box for the higher quality makes.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1330 on: December 05, 2015, 09:36:54 PM »
Wondering if we are going to get another ammo run? Some looking around on ammoman.com and bulkammo.com  looks like they have a fair amount of the usual stuff.

Between the hoopla and November already being the biggest month for NICS ever...

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1331 on: December 05, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »
It's possible, but I kind of doubt it.  Now that the San Bernardino shooting turned out to be Muslim terrorists who obtained their guns legally (in California, no less), you can be sure that the media will drop it pretty quickly.  It doesn't fit the story they want to tell to advance their agenda for more gun control, so I expect it to fade from the headlines pretty fast.  There might be a bump in sales, but I don't think we'll see big frenzy like after Sandy Hook.

Also, prices have been dropping for some time, in some cases to below the pre-Sandy Hook levels.  That suggests a pretty big supply stocked up, so there's probably enough ammo on hand in the supply chain to meet a short surge in demand (except for .22LR, of course).

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1332 on: December 05, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »
Wondering if we are going to get another ammo run?

My husband was wondering the same thing just this afternoon....

nkawtg

« Reply #1333 on: December 05, 2015, 11:47:17 PM »
There might be, I was at Bass Pro and apparently someone felt the need to steal some ammo.
Security rounded him up.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Survivor
  • Wrong is what I do best.
« Reply #1334 on: December 06, 2015, 03:43:13 AM »
Been watching, haven't noticed any price jumps or shortages online.  Everything seems stable so far.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1335 on: December 06, 2015, 06:05:56 AM »
Dunno. The mask has come off for the dems. Both candidates support gun control openly, compared to 2008 and 2012 where they distanced themselves from it. The NY Times ran a front page editorial calling to ban the evil black rifles and admitted that it would require getting them from those that already own them  (though they couched it as "owners giving them up", like that is gonna happen...).

I don't know if they feel emboldened by the GOP melting down but might be interesting.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1336 on: December 06, 2015, 09:13:43 AM »
Wait another week.

The anniversary of Sandy hook is coming up on 12/14 and Obama will probably release some sweeping Executive orders on that day to a background of grieving parents and terrifies congressmen.

His "Weekend address" was a DEMAND that congress pass sweeping laws the would ban military style weapons and force civilians to turn them in.

Not a production halt, no grandfathered items.  A BAN AND SEISURE law.

It seems to have been ignored by everyone.

http://news.sky.com/story/1600481/obama-us-assault-weapons-loophole-insane

nkawtg

« Reply #1337 on: December 06, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but it's in response to a previous post.
So people on the no-fly list should be banned from buying a gun. The average citizen would call that a good idea. But how many on that list don't deserve to be on that list?
Also what's to stop the administration from putting anyone on a so-called No Fly List, and what / who determines who qualifies? You? Me?
If this administration is so hot on the No-Fly list perhaps they should fire the 72+ employees of DHS who are on the No-Fly list.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #1338 on: December 06, 2015, 04:42:44 PM »
There has been a surge of new business (I work at a gun store in north central CA for those that don't know) in the last three days.  It's not to the level of post-SH, but it is dramatic.  I am sure that being in CA, it is more pronounced for us, but I think a big reason it hasn't turned into a full-blown shortage is that manufacturers had caught up and overran demand, and to some extent, there is a glut of product.  What I am not sure of, is whether the extra supply is enough to stave off a shortage, or just kind of ease us into it.  I know that several of our popular handguns have become VERY hard to get.  The biggest problem is that CA has many of its own models, and even those that the guns are the same, ours ship with 10 round magazines, and the CA ones have dried up.  It becomes cost prohibitive to buy the standard capacity ones and swap mags too.  It is only a couple of models right now, but we'll see if it gets worse.

My advice is, if you NEED something, get it now, but panic buying isn't called for yet.  And if you pick up a new gun, grab extra ammo for it too, it sucks having a gun and then the ammo supply dries up.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1339 on: October 18, 2016, 07:59:12 AM »
Anyone seeing any shortages?

Not sure if it is my local Wal-Mart or what, but 9mm ball is out. .40 is fine, .223 is kind of thread bear but still present.  Most other calibers are fine.  .22lr is of course non-existent.   

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1340 on: October 18, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
I'm stocking up, we've got some ammo background check legislation coming next year I don't want to deal with.  I've been buying as much as I can until the end of the year or until ammo places figure out they aren't supposed to sell to me.  22lr is hard to find local at a reasonable price, I found some at Dicks sporting goods a couple weeks ago for a decent price.  I may need to run over there again after payday, pick up some more 12ga too. 

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1341 on: October 18, 2016, 10:29:59 AM »
Pretty much everything is in stock at normal prices around here.  Even Wal-Mart's .22LR selection is steady, and that has been the most likely to sell out fast in recent years.  Cabela's has had .22LR (albeit at Cabela's normal high prices) steadily for months.

The local Academy Sports seems to have had a run on some brands of .223 recently, as that shelf is pretty thin, but they had 7.62x39mm on clearance(!), so they must not be too worried about another ammo panic yet.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #1342 on: October 18, 2016, 10:36:07 AM »
I saw ammo on the shelf at local sporting goods store, some, and amazing high prices. Like $30 for a box of 45 long colt. $10 for a box of cci .22lr . $20 for a box of blazer brass 9mm. They didnt have tomuch, but they did have a couple items on the shelf at too high prices.... we pay almost 10percent sales tax on top of that ... and when the new laws hit, many places will stop selling at all, and prices will raise at the others... background check is $35 around here, so add that onto whatever you are buying

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #1343 on: October 18, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
I saw ammo on the shelf at local sporting goods store, some, and amazing high prices. Like $30 for a box of 45 long colt. $10 for a box of cci .22lr . $20 for a box of blazer brass 9mm. They didnt have tomuch, but they did have a couple items on the shelf at too high prices.... we pay almost 10percent sales tax on top of that ... and when the new laws hit, many places will stop selling at all, and prices will raise at the others... background check is $35 around here, so add that onto whatever you are buying

Yeah we're pretty hosed next year, that's why I'm stocking up.  I figure next year I'll be stocking up on reloading components. 

I've heard though that their new instant background checks for ammo mean bad things for their 10 day waiting period as in the lawsuit against that the state claimed they couldn't possibly process background checks that fast.  Now they are saying it's no big deal to sell ammo with an instant check. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1344 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:47 AM »
Yeah we're pretty hosed next year, that's why I'm stocking up.  I figure next year I'll be stocking up on reloading components. 

I've heard though that their new instant background checks for ammo mean bad things for their 10 day waiting period as in the lawsuit against that the state claimed they couldn't possibly process background checks that fast.  Now they are saying it's no big deal to sell ammo with an instant check.

I highly recommend reloading components.  Suppose you load 3 cartridges, chances are you can share primers, powder or possibly bullets among a couple.  Maybe your goal is to have 1000 rounds each of 3 cartridge types.  That's expensive - but maybe you can afford components to load up 1000 in one of those three.  There's a lot of logistical upside to reloading your own.

In the dark days around Sandy Hook, I even experimented using small rifle primers in revolver loads, and weird powder combinations not usually recommended.  There were some reliability issues, but at least I could keep shooting something...

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #1345 on: October 18, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
I highly recommend reloading components.  Suppose you load 3 cartridges, chances are you can share primers, powder or possibly bullets among a couple.  Maybe your goal is to have 1000 rounds each of 3 cartridge types.  That's expensive - but maybe you can afford components to load up 1000 in one of those three.  There's a lot of logistical upside to reloading your own.

In the dark days around Sandy Hook, I even experimented using small rifle primers in revolver loads, and weird powder combinations not usually recommended.  There were some reliability issues, but at least I could keep shooting something...

I'm trying to get a few thousand of each of the common calibers that I shoot/ own.  I'm really focusing on the 22lr as I can't reload it and reloading components will still be available next year.  I need to do some work on my workshop before I start reloading again, needs wiring run and some kind of finish on the walls still.  I hate to put stuff up only to take it back down later. 

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1346 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:36 PM »
while it is always a good idea to get into reloading....if there is any sort of shortage...you could've fooled me. i can pretty much find anything i'm looking for. Even Wally-World has had the same .22LR for at least a week.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #1347 on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:23 PM »
.22lr is of course non-existent.   

In Dallas, i was actually surprised that for the last 3 weeks, lots of 22lr at walmart.
last week walmart took down the 3box limit for 22lr... I asked the guy 2 twice if it was really ok to buy 4 boxes of 22lr, because I was in shock.

Offline DWSDVSE

• Survivor
  • V R S N S M V
« Reply #1348 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:05 AM »
Went to bass pro last night for some primers. They seemed at normal levels. Only had 5 Winchester small rifle primer boxes, though. Plenty of cci.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #1349 on: October 19, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »
Our wal-mart stopped selling 22lr, apparently people were all jerks about it and fighting over it so they pulled it from the shelves.  The still sell other calibers though.  I think I'm in an are full of jerks when it comes to 22lr at a reasonable price.  I haven't seen 22lr on wal-mart's shelf for years.  Apparently there is/was a line every morning still at the ammo counter waiting for new stock.