Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 471958 times)

Offline reroderic

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1290 on: December 15, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »
Doin well in MO but have had to resort to ball .223 for squirrel. It does well just watch the backg round
Don't get the 22 shortage. I make my wife use a single shot. :o :-*

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
« Reply #1291 on: January 10, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
Where have all the 22LR ammo gone? :'(

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #1292 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
I got mine.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1293 on: January 10, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
Where have all the 22LR ammo gone? :'(

Have you been asleep for the past 6 years???

If you look in the archives you will find a 100 page thread with thousands of posts discussing this issue from the point in time when the shelves were first stripped.

nelson96

« Reply #1294 on: January 10, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
I got mine.

As do I....  No problem here.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #1295 on: January 10, 2015, 11:45:48 AM »
GUNBOT will help find good deals on most any caliber....

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

Go get yours.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #1296 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
I was at the store a couple months ago and someone was at the ammo case looking for 22 and couldn't find any. They apparently didn't realize the ammunition shortage had been an ongoing problem for years. Everything else is back here except 22.

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #1297 on: January 10, 2015, 12:40:03 PM »
I guess you gotta be in the right place at the right time.  I've found small supplies at Walmart and Gander Mountain over the past two weeks. I already had a few rounds left from years ago, but I finally got me a new 22 rifle two weeks ago and found some when I went to Gander to price rifles and bought a good bit and found more a few days ago at Walmart.

nelson96

« Reply #1298 on: January 10, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
As do I....  No problem here.

What I meant is that I've been stocking up for years and won't need to buy any for years.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #1299 on: January 10, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
What I meant is that I've been stocking up for years and won't need to buy any for years.

Have you had any problems with your pallets of 22's cracking? I had to switch to the synthetic pallets.

nelson96

« Reply #1300 on: January 10, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
Have you had any problems with your pallets of 22's cracking? I had to switch to the synthetic pallets.

No, but that's because I quite using pallets and store them directly on the warehouse floor.  I have so many bricks that I've laid them out like pavers.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #1301 on: January 10, 2015, 02:58:26 PM »
No, but that's because I quite using pallets and store them directly on the warehouse floor.  I have so many bricks that I've laid them out like pavers.

Now that is an idea I had not thought of...thanks. This will save me a lot of trouble.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1302 on: January 10, 2015, 08:03:30 PM »
I guess you gotta be in the right place at the right time.  I've found small supplies at Walmart and Gander Mountain over the past two weeks.

.22LR isn't always available around here, but it's common enough to find some at the LGS or Cabela's or Wal-Mart that I tend to pass it up now more often than I buy it.  I have what I consider "enough" stockpiled, anyway, so I've been leaving it for the next guy unless it's a really good deal (which I classify as "near pre-panic prices").  A year ago, I'd buy any I came across (almost always with a one-box limit imposed by the store), so I'd say the situation is significantly improved.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1303 on: January 10, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
Second the improvement.  The Bass Pro here frequently has it.  Restricts you to one brick. 

I am part of the reason that .22 still has not come back.  My idea on what is "adequate" is radically different for .22.  I used to keep around 5K on hand and I burned through that in 6 months.  When I can accumulate it I am going to keep around 50K on hand from now on.  THAT mentality plus being cheap enough to actually BUY that much is why its still not back like all the other calibers. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1304 on: January 11, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »
Pre-SandyHook I have about 10 bricks of Federal Champion, and a dozen or some smaller boxes of minimags and misc. stuff.

I've only replenished about 1.5 bricks worth since then and am down to < 2500.  I haven't been willing to pay gouge pricesto replenish.

nelson96

« Reply #1305 on: January 11, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »
I am part of the reason that .22 still has not come back.  My idea on what is "adequate" is radically different for .22.  I used to keep around 5K on hand and I burned through that in 6 months.  When I can accumulate it I am going to keep around 50K on hand from now on.  THAT mentality plus being cheap enough to actually BUY that much is why its still not back like all the other calibers.

That is why I have so much.  I know I've said this before, but for many years I had a personal rule that if I walked in to an establishment and found a brick to be at $15 or less, I had to buy it, even if I had been in the same establishment just the day before.

Even at today prices, a brick isn't going to break ya.  But thankfully I don't have to pat today's prices for a very long time.  ;)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1306 on: January 11, 2015, 02:11:48 PM »
Even at today prices, a brick isn't going to break ya.  But thankfully I don't have to pat today's prices for a very long time.  ;)

Just goes to show how prepping can be free.  While those caught unprepared are paying premiums, those that were prepared are just dipping into stashes or even selling a small portion off covering their initial outlay.  I know quite a few who have more than recouped the price of their stashes by selling off just a piece of what they had.  But 22LR is nothing compared to surplus 308, 30-06, and 8mm.  As an example, I bought a flat of 8mm at 4.5 cents a round and recently sold a few cans from it at 35 cents a round.  This recouped almost all of the original purchase.  And the buyer was happy to pay that as the best he could find was 60 cents a round!

Regarding 22LR, around here you can now get all you want at 8 cents a round.  The Walmart here recently raised the prices on federal and remington bulk boxes to ~5 cents a round and it still completely sells out.  So $15 bricks of 500 appear to be a thing of the past. 

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #1307 on: January 11, 2015, 03:04:14 PM »
I'm still seeing a shortage of 22lr.   Empty shelves shortage of that caliber exclusively.

d3nni5

« Reply #1308 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:15 PM »
I was at a gun show yesterday, 22LR was going for $45/50 a brick.  Still too rich for my blood.

nelson96

« Reply #1309 on: January 11, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
Regarding 22LR, around here you can now get all you want at 8 cents a round.  The Walmart here recently raised the prices on federal and remington bulk boxes to ~5 cents a round and it still completely sells out.  So $15 bricks of 500 appear to be a thing of the past.

That sucks, but even so, $25/brick isn't going to kill anyone if they budget for it. . . .  Five less cups of coffee at the barista stand per month will get you 6000 rounds in a year.  And that's just a small example.

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
« Reply #1310 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59:47 AM »
That sucks, but even so, $25/brick isn't going to kill anyone if they budget for it. . . .  Five less cups of coffee at the barista stand per month will get you 6000 rounds in a year.  And that's just a small example.

I think you are definitely right, but another way to look at it is that $15 to $25 is a 66% increase in price (and that's if you are lucky enough to even find one at $25... most people aren't).  In the short run, that may not be a big deal, but if that's the new long term price it is very significant. 

Price discovery, as a general topic, is fascinating.  We have all these models and formulas that take into account production costs, historical supply/demand, regulations, competition, etc  but one thing we just can't wrap our heads around the is human psychology aspect of it, and that's possibly the single biggest factor.  What seems ridiculously high this year just might seem like a fantastic price next year... it's anyone's guess.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #1311 on: January 12, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »
I think you are definitely right, but another way to look at it is that $15 to $25 is a 66% increase in price (and that's if you are lucky enough to even find one at $25... most people aren't).  In the short run, that may not be a big deal, but if that's the new long term price it is very significant. 

Price discovery, as a general topic, is fascinating.  We have all these models and formulas that take into account production costs, historical supply/demand, regulations, competition, etc  but one thing we just can't wrap our heads around the is human psychology aspect of it, and that's possibly the single biggest factor.  What seems ridiculously high this year just might seem like a fantastic price next year... it's anyone's guess.

Considering the hundreds of billion$ printed by The FED over the same period as the ammo shortage, the price increase is reflective of the devaluation of our purchasing power, IMO.

nelson96

« Reply #1312 on: January 12, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »

Thank goodness we have competition among manufacturers.  Someone at some point will offer a more realistic price.  But it's not manufacturing I distrust, it's distribution. . . .  Once the shelves fill up the price should drop to a more realistic and consistant number.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1313 on: January 12, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
I have to confess, a huge appeal of .22lr was dropping $20 at Walmart and spending all afternoon plinking.  I've got steel gongs, rifles and pistols.  The whole family had fun.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #1314 on: January 12, 2015, 01:17:58 PM »
I have to confess, a huge appeal of .22lr was dropping $20 at Walmart and spending all afternoon plinking.

Is Walmart now getting 22lr in reliably?

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1315 on: January 12, 2015, 03:23:14 PM »

No !

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #1316 on: January 12, 2015, 03:52:59 PM »

I think you failed to notice the past tense of his post.

I have to confess, a huge appeal of .22lr was dropping $20 at Walmart and spending all afternoon plinking.  I've got steel gongs, rifles and pistols.  The whole family had fun.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #1317 on: January 12, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »

Our local Walmart called me to borrow some 22 bricks . I used to be a ammo shop and commercial loader.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1318 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:31 PM »
Looks like the 22 shortage will soon be over in our area.   A new ammo plant is being built five minutes from our local range.   :)

http://www.warricknews.com/news/article_c247209c-1696-11e5-bfc6-07b9317878db.html

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #1319 on: June 25, 2015, 09:19:13 AM »
We have .22 LR in Western NC, but it is nearly impossible to find .22 Magnum here.   I haven't seen a box in over a year.