Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Testing tomorrow

<< < (2/3) > >>

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on October 19, 2019, 10:44:59 AM ---Yay Fritz!!! :clap:

--- End quote ---
Thanks, now I need to figure out what I want to do with it.

I don't know any local hams.

FreeLancer:
I still haven’t figured that out, although it didn’t stop me from buying a bunch of expensive radios, unfortunately. 

fritz_monroe:
Yeah, I'm going to try to avoid that.  I'm starting out real slow.  Ordered one of the Chinese radios the other day, should be here tomorrow, the same as when I should get my callsign.  I do think that once I get some experience under my belt, I'm likely going to sign up for my local RACES/ARES groups.

So how do you guys make use of your radios?

Bradbn4:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Look at Chrip to see if it supports the radio.  Program the local Freq would be the next step.

The first two tests are 'easy'.  The 3rd is a bit harder.

What to do with the radio depends on which radio you picked up.   Another Freq to program is NOAA

All NOAA Weather Radio stations broadcast on one of eight frequencies in the VHF Public Service band: 162.400 megahertz (MHz), 162.425 MHz, 162.450 MHz, 162.475 MHz, 162.500 MHz, 162.525 MHz, and 162.550 MHz

I just poked my head into a real Ham radio store yesterday.  Some real nice hardware, I should have made time to pick up a few antennas....

armymars:
I use mine a lot for MARS. Used HF equipment can be a good way to go. Prices are down right now because of the IC 7300 selling for $1079 with power supply. It's quite the radio at that price. I've been asking $350 for my Ten- Tec Paragon with no takers in part of the IC 7300. I've had my 7300 for about a year and only wish I could get it to talk with my ALE software. Very stable and good ears.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version