Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Preplanning for my 13

(1/2) > >>

hilljen:
I don't have time to do a blog, but wanted to start a once a month thread about my progress. This first installment will not be about any progress, just a status report on where I am now and what I need to do to be ready to take off with intensity in January 2013.

1Bushcrafting - this is a great time for me to be able to cover a lot of ground without all the undergrowth slowing me down. I need to check my hiking boots and socks, plus all other winter gear so I can be comfortable while I'm out there. I'd like to start taking the camera to catalog what I identify. Also need to prep a good reading list regarding bushcrafting in my region.

2Family Fun - dd is 14yo and won't be willing to do much with the family many more years. I want to include everyone. Perhaps some shooting events or camping. Shooting and kayaking will work well for events with spouse.
Need to plan at least one event per month.

3Firemaking - gather up the stuff for a big sit-down trial and error event in Jan.

4Cordage and Twining - need to review info and find out what I can access in this season, go get some and be ready to process and work in Jan.

5Fitness - I need a plan!!!

6Foraging - need a good reference book for my region and this season

7Marksmanship - go get more ammo!

8Archery - determine what exercises to increase arm strength to pull and throw (for bow and atlatl)

9Martial Arts - get sparring gear, get plan for practicing at home, test for green in May and blue in November

10Wildlife identification - get books to study tracks, find out how to learn about cries and calls, CD?

11Herbal remedies - get notebook, check resource books for what to harvest in December

12Making salves and balms - may combine this with #11, check with neighbor re: beeswax

13Writing - do one article per day - 10 for Dec.

hilljen:
Now that I've had a day to think about it, I have come up with my list of things to buy to accomplish these goals:

ammo
more arrows
beeswax

So the honest truth is that cost is not an excuse for not getting these goals accomplished. I need to get these supplies in by the end of December.

philbert:

--- Quote from: hilljen on December 10, 2012, 03:09:58 PM ---5Fitness - I need a plan!!!

--- End quote ---
Hi there, I was never a fitness oriented person (and definitely not a runner!) until last year I came across the "Couch to 5k" program.  It is focused on the complete novice, and very achievable.  If you need a little inspiration, check out this video (linked from that site)

Once I started running, I felt inspired to eat better, and started paleo.  From there, I felt so energised that I started weight training, and its amazing how much easier everyday tasks are (picking up boxes, chopping wood, etc) when you have a little more muscle mass!

fritz_monroe:
Couch to 5k certainly works. I did it a couple of years ago.  I stopped running for the Summer and never got back into it. 

If you go that route, do the version that cues you by time, not distance.  If you run and have to hit a certain pace, you can end up injuring yourself.  Run your own speed for the amount of time they say and you will get to a 5k.  It could take longer, but it should be injury free.

philbert:
I agree about the audio - I found the Robert Ullrey podcasts (also linked on c25k.com) to be excellent - as well as having a calm and soothing voice, and good beats to run to, he also occasionally coaches some basic techniques (keep your arms low and loose) which was really helpful for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version