Author Topic: Making Sense of CDC Numbers  (Read 1034 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
Making Sense of CDC Numbers
« on: September 02, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
I'm starting this conversation because I have a VERY simple question that for some strange reason, I can't find on CDC's website.  And my question stems from this article, "The CDC quietly updated COVID-19 numbers......"https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/08/shock-report-week-cdc-quietly-updated-covid-19-numbers-9210-americans-died-covid-19-alone-rest-serious-illnesses/.

If you visit the COVID-19 section of the CDC website, they provide a lot of great information. But what I don't see is how many deaths are ONLY caused by COVID-19.  We see all of these various combinations of the flu and pneumonia and other comorbidities, but not COVID-19 as a stand-alone killer.

I'm not trying to cause any distractions or arguments.  I'm just trying to find this number for my own curiosity and I'm trying to find validation or falsehood in the article.
Thanks

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Making Sense of CDC Numbers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »
Not being able to find specifics like that is intentional.

Although I did see that they put out numbers the other day saying that only 6% of deaths were caused by covid ONLY.  All the rest had underlying conditions that helped lead to their death.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 05:25:03 PM »
I would suspect that deaths due to seasonal flu, or a lot of other infections, would not be due solely to that infection, rather, the underlying complications would have a LOT to do with it.

I have high blood pressure, managed by medication.  BUT, the medication is said  to cause increased ACE 2 receptors, which is a key attack site for this virus.  Without the meds, I would not be particularly susceptible to this thing...

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 04:19:02 AM »
I'm not surprised that you cannot find the numbers.

The medical examiner for the county just south of here was on the news several months ago. He was complaining that he was ordered by the state to report ANY death that included any cold or flu symptoms as a CoVID-19 death. He was also not given any test kits to verify whether the death was even related to CoVID-19. His biggest complaint was that he had no way to tell if his people were dealing with the disease so that they could take proper protection.

In addition, hospitals received a $30,000 "bonus" for reporting that they were treating a CoVID patient. Plus, at least here in Pennsylvania, nursing homes (which told the government that they were not equipped for it) were ordered to take CoVID patients. Our state health secretary even took his own mother out of a nursing home at the time that he gave the order - he knew that it was going to kill thousands. Many people believe that this was solely to inflate the number of CoVID deaths, for their political gain.

With crap like that it is very likely that the CDC (or any other official agency) even has the true numbers.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 07:31:14 AM »
If you visit the COVID-19 section of the CDC website, they provide a lot of great information. But what I don't see is how many deaths are ONLY caused by COVID-19.  We see all of these various combinations of the flu and pneumonia and other comorbidities, but not COVID-19 as a stand-alone killer.

I'm not trying to cause any distractions or arguments.  I'm just trying to find this number for my own curiosity and I'm trying to find validation or falsehood in the article.

COVID-19 prinarily kills by causing one or more of three conditions; pneumonia, ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), and sepsis.   So nearly 100% die from one of these conditions.

Less than 1% of those who die from COVID-19 are without a known comorbidity which exacerbates the ability of the body to respond appropriately and fight off the infection.  For example, obesity lowers the production of the hormone adiponectin which protects the lungs, provides more targets for virus since fat has ACE2 receptors which COVID uses, and heightens the probability of blood clots from the sepsis reaction.

In other words, if you are otherwise healthy it is exceedingly rare that COVID-19 will be able to kill you. It will probably stay in the upper respiratory system and the only thing you would notice is a dry cough and being tired, if even that.