Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

PRICE GOUGING BEGINS AT WALMART

(1/5) > >>

Adam Campbell:
I picked up a 7,000 watt generator a couple days ago as there were plenty on Craigslist.

I went to Walmart yesterday for another food run. The food shelves are 2/3 empty. They have GUARDS and a GATE SYSTEM in place for the toilet paper aisle and they WILL refuse to let you buy more than one pack, even if you try to buy a pack of Charmin and then go over to the camping section and pick up camping TP.

However I am ditching Walmart now after seeing them charging over $50 for a 2 GALLON GASOLINE CAN. The standard crappy PLASTIC ones.

You know we are f-d when Walmart is price gouging.

Home Depot in that town was shut down but the Lowe's across the street was still open.

I was able to pick up 3 FIVE GALLON gas cans (the same type) for the regular price of $20 each.

This is a warning to anyone who hasn't stocked up on gas yet. The second THAT panic sets in gasoline will be GONE in less than an hour.

You had about 3 days to get toilet paper when that panic started.

Walmart wanted me to pay over $150 to be able to carry 6 GALLONS OF GAS.

You can get STEEL 5-gallon Nato Jerry cans that are NICE for $50 each on a normal day.

Now at least at MY local Walmart they want $50 for a cheap plastic lawn mower gas can.

Run out to the hardware store and grab them before they are gone! Get your fuel stabilizer.

I am betting the second they announce martial law the lines at gas stations will be 10 miles long.

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: Adam Campbell on March 21, 2020, 07:49:52 AM ---
I am betting the second they announce martial law the lines at gas stations will be 10 miles long.

--- End quote ---
What does martial law even mean?  The local government is still way more functional than building a military form.  You could surge the whole DoD into the nation and most citizens wouldnt see a soldier, not to mention that a tremendous amount of the force structure is neither trained for enforcing order AND have important functions in this disaster that dont involve standing at COSTCO with guns (moving supplies, treating the sick, fixing things, building things, etc).

So far the guard has stayed on Title 32 (state authority) because the states know what to do with them.  The NGB remembers that Cali was using the guard effectively during the LA riots and that when they were placed under Title 10 (federal) authority, the new federal military command pulled them off of useful work while the Title 10 commander and staff figured out what they could use them for.  Not to mention that under Title 32 there are no PCA considerations, under Title 10, PCA does apply.

Further question...if demand is increasing while supply is uncertain, why shouldn't prices go up?  Even if it is greed on Wal-Mart's part, it also fullfilled the market's purposes.  It discouraged you from buying the product (you apparently care more about the savings than the cans) so someone who isnt a prepper and really freaking needs it (or thinks they do) can have it.  The profit they make off that product when it sells sends signals to the gas can manufacturer to make more cans, and the profit potential will signal people with gas cans and little need for them to put them on ebay and such....increasing supply even without making more cans.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 21, 2020, 08:13:42 AM ---Further question...if demand is increasing while supply is uncertain, why shouldn't prices go up?  Even if it is greed on Wal-Mart's part, it also fullfilled the market's purposes.

--- End quote ---

also - it might not be WAL-MART who raised the price.  It might be their SUPPLIER who is raising the prices, or the SHIPPING companies.  There is a shortage, and that means that the price increases through the line...

Carver:
If the government tries to deal with so-called price gouging with price controls the marketplace will counter by renaming old products; rib-eye steak will be renamed eye-of-rib. Toilet paper will be renamed NY Post, and so on.

ChEng:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on March 21, 2020, 08:13:42 AM ---...Further question...if demand is increasing while supply is uncertain, why shouldn't prices go up?  Even if it is greed on Wal-Mart's part, it also fullfilled the market's purposes.  It discouraged you from buying the product (you apparently care more about the savings than the cans) so someone who isnt a prepper and really freaking needs it (or thinks they do) can have it.  The profit they make off that product when it sells sends signals to the gas can manufacturer to make more cans, and the profit potential will signal people with gas cans and little need for them to put them on ebay and such....increasing supply even without making more cans.

--- End quote ---
Chem, It's really great to see that not everyone mis-understands capitalism. The market is the best determiner of price, and any outside interference (government trying to regulate price/supply, or trying to stop "gouging") will only make things worse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version