Finance and Economics > Investing and Saving

WTF GE?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Tyler Durden:
The majority of Locomotives pulling trains around right now are GE.  Some are good, some are bad, but that's what's out there.  Most of the signal technology on railroads is manufactured by GE as well. They have a near-monopoly on equipment in that industry.

My wife worked at a water technology place back in Minnetonka, MN called Osmonics.  It was a local, homegrown company that was a pioneer in reverse-osmosis water purification.  GE took it over around 2002 I believe; cut and offshored many of the jobs, and it became another sucky place to work. They recently sold that division off to some foreign company.

I hate GE.

David in MN:
I don't love or hate any business per se. Any business is a group of people capable of doing good or bad and turning in either direction with good planning and management of resources. I just look at GE as a bloated dinosaur trying to do business primarily with set in stone government contracts (like rail and power) while continually rebranding to the public what it really does.

Instead of marketing as an efficiency company and competing with Microsoft, IBM, SAP, etc. they need to focus on what they're good at.

Smurf Hunter:
All this and Jeff Immelt didn't get to the Uber CEO gig a few weeks back.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/27/jeff-immelt-says-hes-not-going-to-be-the-ceo-of-uber/

David in MN:
Peter Schiff called GE (as best I recall) "a hedge fund masquerading as a real company". Couldn't agree more.

Special K:

--- Quote from: Tyler Durden on September 07, 2017, 01:58:35 PM ---The majority of Locomotives pulling trains around right now are GE.  Some are good, some are bad, but that's what's out there.  Most of the signal technology on railroads is manufactured by GE as well. They have a near-monopoly on equipment in that industry.

--- End quote ---

Hold on to your throttle handle...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-26/ge-mulls-options-for-locomotive-unit-including-a-sale-wsj-says

--- Quote ---General Electric Co. is studying an exit from its locomotive business, one of the 125-year-old company’s oldest operations, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The Boston-based company is studying options such as bringing in a partner, spinning the division off or selling it, the newspaper reported, citing people familiar with the matter. GE is also considering the divestiture of its health-care information technology business, Reuters reported.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version