Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord

<< < (33/36) > >>

Redman:
We got rid of cable TV 4 years ago bought a Roku and HD converter and been happy with that and our old analog TV since. Recently our son in law bought us a "smart" TV, came with a bunch of stuff installed. All is good except I can't install the channels some of the other that we like. Stuck with what the manufacturer installed. I still have the Roku and recently thought I could connect to the composite connection on the TV, already got a DVD player there, and run a set up like I had on the old TV. Roku, DVD player connected to a switch box and that connected to the TV.  Switching TV inputs is accomplished via the TV, switching the Roku and DVD accomplished with the external switch box. Haven't done it yet but seems it should work.

fritz_monroe:
I only sort of cut the cord.

We have YouTube TV to cover the wife's requirement of Young and the Restless.  We have a Roku on each TV.  We also have Netflix, but the kids are the main ones that watch that.

The biggest thing that we watch is movies and TV on my Plex server.

fritz_monroe:
Just renewing the thread.  Looking to see what you guys are doing.

It's now 2 years later and I figured I'd expand on what we are doing.

My wife's Y&R fix is still fulfilled wit YouTube TV.
Netflix fulfills the majority of my daughter's TV viewing.
My son watches mainly YouTube, but occasionally watch stuff on Plex.
The rest of what my wife and I watch is on Plex, but we watch some series on Amazon Prime.  Once the rest of the family go to bed, I watch YouTube.

Bradbn4:
Bringing life to old topics with new tech....

There is a lot of hardware out there pre-built into the current generation of TV's and bluray players for people trying to cut classic Cable or Dish/direct TV.

Also simple hardware like the new Raspberry PI 4b can convert an old(er) style TV into a Smart TV.  I did play with the earlier raspberry PI hardware and found them useful for many things, but YouTube and Kodi were sometimes hit or miss.

My next purchase to reduce my need for 'cable' is to find a nice external TV antenna with mount pole to hook up my basement TV. 

Right now my basement TV uses the built in applications + a hook to my computer for when I want to enjoy something on the big screen.

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: Bradbn4 on September 22, 2019, 11:45:02 AM ---Also simple hardware like the new Raspberry PI 4b can convert an old(er) style TV into a Smart TV.  I did play with the earlier raspberry PI hardware and found them useful for many things, but YouTube and Kodi were sometimes hit or miss.

--- End quote ---
I've been running a RasPlex on a Raspberry Pi 2 in the exercise room for several years.  Works great to stream my workout videos from my Plex server.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version