The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

Planting potatoes

<< < (5/6) > >>

flanker:
Here is our tire potatoes.  We had a couple of cold nights so we threw some straw on to keep in as much warmth as possible now it will turn to mulch.  The pink petals are from the crabapple tree which did not like the wind we a couple of days ago.  So far the tire seems to be working well.

Copyright 1972:
Deepsea, that's a great idea!  We are growing taters for the first time this year, and if my space was any more limited, I would jump on your idea!  We are lucky to have space at grandma's house to plant a second garden in.

Again great idea! +1

Paine:
Howdy all. I'm new to the forum, SMB, and potato planting and was wondering if I still had time to put potatoes in the soil. I live up here in Western Washington and would love to try this process out. We love 'taters. Any help would be great. Thank you. On a side note, how would a newbie SMB member get one of those cool supporting members brigade banners "stuck" on my profile thingamadingee?

“Mark”:

--- Quote from: Paine on June 24, 2009, 02:46:10 AM ---Howdy all. I'm new to the forum, SMB, and potato planting and was wondering if I still had time to put potatoes in the soil. I live up here in Western Washington and would love to try this process out. We love 'taters. Any help would be great. Thank you.

--- End quote ---

I don't see why not? Don't forget that potatoes are a tuber, and the fat part of their roots (the part we eat) is an energy store for the next season. You could plant and get a great harvest next year, one would think.

--- Quote ---On a side note, how would a newbie SMB member get one of those cool supporting members brigade banners "stuck" on my profile thingamadingee?

--- End quote ---

Add the image to your signature. It's done manually.

cdunlop:

--- Quote from: DeepSea1985 on April 22, 2009, 10:20:57 PM ---Thanks to Gator on the DIY on posting pictures.........I struggle with technology daily and his posting was most informative. I'll raise an Abita Amber in his honor this weekend at the Jazz Fest..

This is the stacked potato box design I was thinking about. It's made from 6' long cedar fence boards, 2 x 2 for corners strength and galvanized screws. It comes out to be more growing area than a 16" tire. I cut the fence boards at 2 foot length's to minimize waste and it took less than an hour to cut and screw together six of these, not counting the trip to the lumber store. I'm thinking as vines grow I'll stack additional boxes on top and more dirt/compost/straw mixture and see what happens. In a second box not shown we planted Jerusalem Artichokes in same manner.....

On the bottom box the 2 x 2 corner pieces were cut about 2" shorter than height of board. That way the with the upper boxes corner 2 x 2 cut at the height of the boards and attached 2" down it makes upper box lock into place.

The wife is happy it's not old tires and it kinda matches the cedar fence........Time will tell if it's worth while...

--- End quote ---

That is cool as hell!!!!!  If I could give you a +1, I would.  Very nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version