The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

Making Biltong Videos

<< < (3/3)

Goatdog62:
Hi Jack
 Started my biltong yesterday based on your Phase 1 and 2 videos. It is hanging now, but I can't find the Phase 3 video. Did you make one? If not, how long do I leave it hanging or how do I know its ready?

Thanks,
Goatdog

sage0925:
Ok...color me stupid...what's a "biltong"?

Sage

ModernSurvival:
Biltong is the southern Africa answer to jerky. 

Goatdog62,

I can not tell a lie I ate half the biltong and saved the rest for a third video.  Then before that happened I got into a few beers over a six pack on a late night of writing and um, well, um, ya see, it was hanging right in my office and well, I ate it.   ;D

It is done when it is hard and will break if you bend it.  It will feel light weight and look black and almost mummified you will know.  Much of the "done" is personal taste.  Some like it very wet inside, some like it totally dry, I like it slightly moist.  Once it is the way you want it ziplock bags will halt the drying process.  The shelf life is very long, Peter Capstick reported finding some sticks that were several years old and "still quite good but a bit dry" for his taste.

Goatdog62:

--- Quote from: ModernSurvival on June 02, 2009, 09:00:14 PM ---Biltong is the southern Africa answer to jerky. 

Goatdog62,

I can not tell a lie I ate half the biltong and saved the rest for a third video.  Then before that happened I got into a few beers over a six pack on a late night of writing and um, well, um, ya see, it was hanging right in my office and well, I ate it.   ;D

It is done when it is hard and will break if you bend it.  It will feel light weight and look black and almost mummified you will know.  Much of the "done" is personal taste.  Some like it very wet inside, some like it totally dry, I like it slightly moist.  Once it is the way you want it ziplock bags will halt the drying process.  The shelf life is very long, Peter Capstick reported finding some sticks that were several years old and "still quite good but a bit dry" for his taste.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Jack. I hung it tonight (air conditioned cottage) and will check it daily. Sorta looks a little macabre around here now.

You could have said the dog jumped up on your desk and ate it. He can't defend himself.
So far my wife thinks the dog has lost my keys, left the toilet seat up, left my underwear on the floor, spilled coffee on the rug, and stunk up the bedroom. She hates him now, he doesn't know why. ;D

TrashCanMan:
Finally got round to making biltong tonight :)

I did the first stage, cutting and cider vinegar and salting and its now in my fridge, ready for part two tomorrow :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version