Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Welcome to the Communications Forum

<< < (6/7) > >>

gary4447:
Just today Sunday 22 Mar 2009 on the Shooting Bench forum a post asking "what would you do "  in the event of a terrorist attack.  This post referenced an Israeli operative and his thought about the American state of unpreparedness in the event of another 9/11 level attack.

One thing that really popped out to me was, this guy stated that the US planned to shut down all cell/blackberry type communications in the event of a terrorist attack of US soil again.  Wonder would that include sat comm as well?

We should perhaps be thinking about some old school lower tech methods of communication.

scoutmaster:
  Fairly new here so hello to every one,

I think it's A good Idea to keep the Ham radio and the regular/other types of communications separate. As you say it takes mult paths to do the job, for sure if you are not using ham radio. Been A ham for 40 years built a lot of repeater systems and do some low band work, We here in Michigan use mostly 80 and 160 meters to do our Emergency coms, Some of us have BOLs 60 to 180 miles apart and it works great. We use VHF for the local stuff.

All I can say about the other methods is Be careful some of them might not be there when you need them. But I am a bit partial to ham
SM 

laser:
I was going to suggest ham as well.  I'm in a very hilly part of WI and 29 miles is no problem for me even without using a repeater on 2M band.  With a repeater half the state is available, but then thats the weakest link.  Although, not all emergancies are global.  The repeater I'm thinking of is far enough away that I'm sure its on a different power company than I am.  Even if this whole corner of the state looses power it probable that the repeater would be up.
laser
AB9MS

Tycoon:
So it's been roughly a year since I took possession of my Globalstar Phone. Less than satisfied with the talk time availability but it has served me well when I have used it, granted this hasn't been during an emergency scenario. Buddy has an Iridium so I have been able to see what major differences there might be first hand.

Pros:
-Voice output is clearer than Iridium. (not a major setback, especially in a disaster scenario imo)
-No contract required and low monthly rate. (Cheaper than buddy’s Iridium plan)   
-I haven't personally utilized this service and cannot attest to the validity but word is from several independent comparison study’s that
 the data download is apparently faster than the Iridium although both are supposed to have horrible download transfer rates.

Cons:    
-Talk time is ridiculous, not bad when you're out camping or out of cell range and just want to chitchat and can wait for
  available talk time but If your purchasing one for the sole purpose of immediate use when disaster may strike this is not the phone for you, although
  in any sort of large scale national disaster where services may be down chances are your sat phone won't work anyway that's when I would probably
  utilize my HAM. Some folks don't realize that Globalstar and Iridium sat phones use public telephone networks and if their down your screwed.

Pretty good comparison article.
http://www.landlinefree.com/Iridium-vs-Global-Star-Which-Sat-Phone-Is-Better

Kagetsu:
I'm a General licensed ham. I've seen local "Authorities" and civilians trying to to believe cell phones or other "secure" proprietary comm systems would be there when they need them. I've seen them fail in both simple and emergency use. they are restricted to a single element. A satellite or tower link that is based on a "usual" use basis. They are easily overloaded.

Ham radio spans Low frequency to microwave and has a base of people that use it often enough to know which band can work.  and I'd still add FRS CB and Aviation frequencies to my overall system. Ahh, dreams. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version