Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

finger problems due to stiff shoulder or similar non intuitive things

<< < (3/5) > >>

surfivor:

--- Quote ---Never heard of a PT class before, is it mostly teaching exercises or do they do manual manipulation as well?
--- End quote ---

It's a class of about 5 or 6 people in a small room with equipment.  The teacher writes on the board the same number of exercises that there are people in the room. Each person goes to a station design for that exercise such as the ski machine, rowing machine, heavy balls that you bounce against the wall, kettle ball weights Etc. she set a timer for a couple minutes and says "start" and everyone does the exercise for two minutes or so. Then you go to the next station, rotate  and do that exercise. She watches you and shows you how you were doing it wrong etc. I just ordered a 30 pound kettle ball and I got a roller. She also talks about specific problems you have, recommends exercises for that etc

So TENS is best massage machine?

The therapy place is connected to a yoga studio and the teacher and other people seem  to have good knowledge about massage therapist in the area; however I went to bed and bath and tried out the demo massage machines they have there and it seemed like just five minutes of that was good

I also have been doing yoga classes, especially because it's winter and it's harder to get outside as much as I would like. The kung fu studio where I go for martial arts and tai chi is kind of far and I don't go there enough, but the yoga studio is five minutes from my house and the various postures and stretching are challenging after an hour or so and the stretching is good for you

My friend also has swollen legs from something like vericose veins and she does not get enough exercise and is not motivated to.it seems like some kind of a leg massage machine or vibration machine would help although the one I saw online was expensive

surfivor:
The neck pillow I bought seem to help but I am on a business trip in DC until Sunday. My neck was getting better but yesterday seemed worse. Last night I slept flat on my back with no pillow at the hotel which seem to help. Of course I did not bring my neck pillow with me on the trip. I am also going to Idaho for a week over Christmas so I will have the same problem although maybe if I'm not working I'll be more relaxed

I'm not used to business trips but I am spending more time practicing meditation in the hotel room  because I don't have my guitar with me or other things.  I have been practicing meditation off and on for many years and know many different approaches.

I bought an Osprey pack which is a carry-on backpack with compression cords. I have no checked baggage and just business casual clothes

There's some Bible museum here in DC that's maybe 10 miles from here that my mother told me about. I was thinking of going there if I have time,I'm not sure

AvenueQ:

--- Quote from: surfivor on December 08, 2017, 04:51:59 AM --- It's a class of about 5 or 6 people in a small room with equipment.  The teacher writes on the board the same number of exercises that there are people in the room. Each person goes to a station design for that exercise such as the ski machine, rowing machine, heavy balls that you bounce against the wall, kettle ball weights Etc. she set a timer for a couple minutes and says "start" and everyone does the exercise for two minutes or so. Then you go to the next station, rotate  and do that exercise. She watches you and shows you how you were doing it wrong etc. I just ordered a 30 pound kettle ball and I got a roller. She also talks about specific problems you have, recommends exercises for that etc

--- End quote ---

Interesting. My therapy sessions always included some manual manipulation before exercises, to loosen tendons and try to guide things back into alignment. Good thing she shows you how to do it properly though, doing any of those exercises wrong can do more damage.

--- Quote from: surfivor on December 08, 2017, 04:51:59 AM ---So TENS is best massage machine?

--- End quote ---

It's not massage, it stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. Basically it's a small electrode with pads that you stick to your skin, kind of like EKG pads, and it delivers small electric pulses. If done properly you shouldn't feel any pain, but it's easy to overdo it if you don't know what you're doing, which is why I'd recommend having a PT or OT guide you in how to use it.

David in MN:
If you get a TENS (and I would recommend it) go slow. Those things could be used to torture. No joke.

If you have shoulder issues, a GOOD trainer can help. When I had an impingement I learned a lot fron the bodmechanic on Gokuflex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzlbX14opvg

They do more videos about strengthening posture and improving mobility. Sorry if it's a little meathead.

surfivor:

--- Quote from: David in MN on December 08, 2017, 11:49:55 AM ---If you get a TENS (and I would recommend it) go slow. Those things could be used to torture. No joke.

If you have shoulder issues, a GOOD trainer can help. When I had an impingement I learned a lot fron the bodmechanic on Gokuflex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzlbX14opvg

They do more videos about strengthening posture and improving mobility. Sorry if it's a little meathead.

--- End quote ---

That is interesting. I am not sure how effective doing yoga is at these classes I have been to is going to help. I am not sure how effective kung fu movements and warm-ups are either or tai chi. Some of those movements I'm  not sure if I would be doing them quite right because if i go to the trainer, she tries to correct my posture when i do similar  exercises

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version