Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Broadcast AM Portable Radio Mega-Shootout

(1/6) > >>

Alan Georges:
It may have been mentioned before ::) that nighttime skywave broadcast AM radio is the way to get outside news in a grid-down situation.  Here's a mega-shootout of pretty much every AM-capable battery radio that matters, from a slightly obsessive radio enthusiast:
http://radiojayallen.com/am-portables-mega-shootout-2015-update/

It's good the way he's broken things out into six tiers of performance, makes it easy to sort through the options.  As much as I like my Tecsun 660, it has me seriously thinking about getting a C. Crane.

FreeLancer:
CC Radios rock!!

Amazing AM reception, good FM, great sound from the speaker, runs forever on 4 D cells, and stupid-easy to operate, unlike SW radios.

The Professor:
I really wish they'd redefine "portable." 

"Portable," to me, is something I can throw in my BOB or GHB that doesn't weigh a pound or two (or three or a dozen).  The "Six-Star"-rated Panasonic RF-2200 weighs in at over 7 lbs with batteries.

I wish someone would do a similar articles on smaller radios that are more likely to be in your kit that run on AA or AAA batteries.  Radios I could stuff in my pocket and plug into my ear as I try to make my way home during a disaster.

The Professor

Chemsoldier:

--- Quote from: The Professor on March 19, 2015, 01:45:54 PM ---I really wish they'd redefine "portable." 

"Portable," to me, is something I can throw in my BOB or GHB that doesn't weigh a pound or two (or three or a dozen).  The "Six-Star"-rated Panasonic RF-2200 weighs in at over 7 lbs with batteries.

I wish someone would do a similar articles on smaller radios that are more likely to be in your kit that run on AA or AAA batteries.  Radios I could stuff in my pocket and plug into my ear as I try to make my way home during a disaster.

The Professor

--- End quote ---
I think portable is also relative based on what you want it to do.  My understanding of the antenne needed to have truly "good" AM reception makes "good" AM portables bigger than "good" portable FM radios.

Carl:
Looks more geared toward AM DX work
where a prepared person would be better served by a pocked size low power consuming
AM/FM for more local news. What percentage of dirty fan incidents involve an area that a
tank of gas won't get you out of? Sure ,if you have the small dependable pocket radio
and want a bigger,slightly more capable radio...go for it.

Same goes for HAND CRANK...my 2 "D" Sony radio runs over 200 hours on a pair of"D" cells ,
why would I want to crank a handle every 20 minutes just to hear a radio?When for the same weight
I can have effective batteries.

I guess the hand crank auto will be the next trend?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version