Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

How do I put an arrowhead on a necklace?

(1/2) > >>

David in MN:
I recently got hold of a true Native American arrowhead (lots of farms turn them up). I have a distant relation to the Lakota (Sioux) tribe and I love the history of it. I'd like to add it to a necklace but I can't seem to make it work. I'm pretty good with metal (made a suit of chainmail) but I'm running aground on how to do it well and have a necklace to be proud of and wear.

Any links or ideas would be appreciated.

never_retreat:
The ones I have seen used wire to create a loop for the chain.

Cedar:
PLEASE do not drill it. And some states (if not all) do not allow you to keep them. So wear with caution.

Other than wire, you can also use sinew to make a fastener, then maybe a loop at the top from it, or wrap around something like a beveled edged antler with a hole in it to slide a chain or lace through.

Cedar

The Professor:
One suggestion would be to mount it to a short piece of willow, or other native wood, as if you were actually mounting it to an arrow shaft.  Try to attach it as historically accurate as possible.  Then, shorten the shaft to about 1 inch behind the rearmost base of arrowhead, drill a hole through the abbreviated "shaft" and run the necklace through that.

Just as another suggestion: put a tiny drop of epoxy on the back, if you use sinew, to hold it in place. This way, you're less likely to lose it when you least expect it.

The Professor

David in MN:

--- Quote from: Cedar on February 25, 2014, 09:16:06 PM ---PLEASE do not drill it.

--- End quote ---

Who would do that? Yikes.

--- Quote from: Cedar on February 25, 2014, 09:16:06 PM ---And some states (if not all) do not allow you to keep them. So wear with caution.

--- End quote ---

Hadn't heard that... I thought it was a question of source. Federal vs. private land, no digging, etc. I think I'm legal  :-\

--- Quote from: The Professor on February 25, 2014, 09:53:51 PM ---One suggestion would be to mount it to a short piece of willow, or other native wood, as if you were actually mounting it to an arrow shaft.  Try to attach it as historically accurate as possible.  Then, shorten the shaft to about 1 inch behind the rearmost base of arrowhead, drill a hole through the abbreviated "shaft" and run the necklace through that.

--- End quote ---

I might give that a whirl, thanks for the idea. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks, fellow forumers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version