The TSP Marketplace > Members Support Brigade Forum

Making Biltong Videos

<< < (2/3) > >>

ModernSurvival:

--- Quote from: TrashCanMan on April 26, 2009, 05:26:30 PM ---Quick question about drying...

Its a little cooler here than Texas  :D  Would room temperature 16-20 degrees C (60-70 deg F) be ok to hang the meat or should I be looking at perhaps making a box with a bulb for some heat generation?

Great vids btw :)

--- End quote ---

Traditionally it is made in the dry season in South Africa which is their winter.  Not frigid but quite cool.  The issue is humidity not heat, so that is the issue, I make mine inside my house, I would expect no challenges for you.  You can always make a box if you want but my experience is a climate controlled home is more then dry enough.

Kellib:
We have made 3 batches already and we love it. Each batch is a little bigger than the last. But it gets eaten very quickly. We are up for some variation recipe exchanges if anyone has any. The last batch we added liquid smoke, garlic and sesame seeds on skirt steak that we cut across grain. I think we will try for skirt steak from now on. Does anyone think that swapping would be possible by mail or would the drug sniffing dogs eat the packages?

ebonearth:

--- Quote from: Kellib on May 02, 2009, 03:26:03 PM ---We have made 3 batches already and we love it. Each batch is a little bigger than the last. But it gets eaten very quickly. We are up for some variation recipe exchanges if anyone has any. The last batch we added liquid smoke, garlic and sesame seeds on skirt steak that we cut across grain. I think we will try for skirt steak from now on. Does anyone think that swapping would be possible by mail or would the drug sniffing dogs eat the packages?
--- End quote ---
Swapping is totally possible. I mean jerky gets shipped, I'm sure it would be fine. I'd insure just in case though.

ModernSurvival:

--- Quote from: ebonearth on May 05, 2009, 01:21:30 AM ---Swapping is totally possible. I mean jerky gets shipped, I'm sure it would be fine. I'd insure just in case though.

--- End quote ---

Shipping will be fine if the UPS Man doesn't figure out what is inside and some how "loose the package".  Biltong is best eaten hiding in a remote bugout location, dressed in full camo and well armed.   ;D

creuzerm:

--- Quote from: ModernSurvival on May 19, 2009, 10:11:28 PM --- Biltong is best eaten hiding in a remote bugout location, dressed in full camo and well armed.   ;D

--- End quote ---

Do we call you the biltong-bag-hat brigade now?

We now know it isn't TEOTWAWKI that Jack's worried about, it's running out of Biltong!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version