Author Topic: Ruger Mk. IV .22 pistol - new design  (Read 10905 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Ruger Mk. IV .22 pistol - new design
« on: September 22, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
Just saw this:
http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html
and an early sneak peek mini-review:
http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2016/09/day-at-officewith-secret-ruger.html

Field strips a lot like an AR - and the big improvement, it goes back together easily.  Then for icing on the cake, they ditched the Mk. III's chamber indicator and magazine safety.  Looks like they're responding to market pressures and good advice.

I'm not ready to kick my Mk. II to the curb for one yet, but it does have me thinking.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Ruger Mk. IV .22 pistol - new design
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:38 PM »
That hunter model looks nice except its silver... why couldnt they matte it out? I guess you could cerekote it

I have a Ruger and a old High standard and that high standard is the most accurate pistol I own, the issue is finding mags/parts for a pistol made in the 40's.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
Big improvement over my MK III. Between the ease opening and closing and cleaning the always gunky loaded indicator this looks like a step in the right direction.

But then for all the pain of the MK III, my competition model does what it is supposed to do. It's a bullseye tack driver. I'll be hard pressed to change.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
That hunter model looks nice except its silver... why couldnt they matte it out? I guess you could cerekote it
In the past, Ruger has made several variations on the same basic .22, some with bull barrels, etc.  Usually they'll turn out a bare stainless steel model as seen here and in blued non-stainless version for about $50 less.

But then for all the pain of the MK III, my competition model does what it is supposed to do. It's a bullseye tack driver. I'll be hard pressed to change.
Kind of how I feel about my Mk II.  Shiny stainless with a tapered "regular" barrel, it's got a newbie-friendly look and I've taught at least 3 people how to shoot with it – exactly what it's supposed to do.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:33:59 PM by Alan Georges »

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:08:08 PM »
I like it!  I wonder if they took the opportunity, while they were redesigning it, to move the serial number to the new forged frame.  Then you could easily swap out different "uppers" with different barrel lengths, sighting systems, etc. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
wow just wow.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 05:02:39 PM »
I dislike the MKII/III reassembly soo much.  I am getting one.

Ruger is killing it in the gun market right now. Absolutely on fire.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »

Ruger is killing it in the gun market right now. Absolutely on fire.

Their stock is under valued and stands to surge up if the wrong candidate is elected.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
This looks like an outstanding redesign.  I especially like the extension of the bolt release.  I am not so sure about the ambidextrous safety...looks a tad bulky.

I also am disappointed that they didn't make the 'charging ears" longer so that you can chamber a round like you do other handguns (i.e. hand over top rather than pulling with thumb and finger).  I added a screw mounted wrap around one to my Mark II but it would be better to have it as part of the bolt itself. 

Then for icing on the cake, they ditched the Mk. III's chamber indicator and magazine safety.

It looks like they 'redesigned' the magazine disconnect but it is still there.  To get drop free magazines they added a spring loaded plunger.  Not sure I like the idea of making the magazine system more complex.  I have played with the Volquartsen spring magazine ejector and didn't like it because it wasn't consistent.  I hope the factory version is better.

I wonder if they took the opportunity, while they were redesigning it, to move the serial number to the new forged frame.  Then you could easily swap out different "uppers" with different barrel lengths, sighting systems, etc. 

It would definitely make it super easy to become a suppressor platform.  One of our local dealers does threaded barrel swaps.  They have a box of about 100 non-threaded take offs.   Let's hope that the new one part lower is the 'firearm' from ATF's perspective!

I met the friendly owners of Majestic Arms at the NRA convention a couple years ago.  They created the speed strip system for the previous lines of Ruger Marks.  For $50 you can get a very similar field strip to the new Ruger Mark IV: http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html.  Definitely worth a look if you have a MKII/III and want speedy reassembly.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
QUOTE"One of our local dealers does threaded barrel swaps.  They have a box of about 100 non-threaded take offs.   Let's hope that the new one part lower is the 'firearm' from ATF's perspective!"

iam4liberty and others the transferable part of a GUN is the part with the serial number. :popcorn:  I get the popcorn for that.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
iam4liberty and others the transferable part of a GUN is the part with the serial number. :popcorn:  I get the popcorn for that.

Bummer.  I found a pic which shows serial number on upper.  Carl, do they have a choice which part is the frame per 1968 Gun Control act?  Or are their rules which they have to follow?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 04:10:32 PM »
Kind of a habit with RUGER as even my old Ruger MK 1 from 1950 has the serial number on the barrel as the barrel and receiver are pretty much one piece.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
I met the friendly owners of Majestic Arms at the NRA convention a couple years ago.  They created the speed strip system for the previous lines of Ruger Marks.  For $50 you can get a very similar field strip to the new Ruger Mark IV: http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html.  Definitely worth a look if you have a MKII/III and want speedy reassembly.
Thanks I4L.  You may have just saved me some bucks, and talked me out of swapping an otherwise excellent pistol.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
Do they have a choice which part is the frame per 1968 Gun Control act?  Or are their rules which they have to follow?

Like everything ATF-related, the rules are kind of vague and arbitrary.  As far as I know, the rules just say the SN has to be on the "frame or receiver", and "must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed".  I suspect the original Rugers had the SN placed on the upper portion since the lower parts were stamped metal, and therefore possibly easier to replace if you wanted to get rid of the serial number.

It seems to make more sense that a pistol would be serialized somewhere on the grip frame (almost every handgun I've ever seen is this way), so I was hoping they had changed it.  But once they've decided that a given part is the "firearm" for a certain model, they may not be allowed to change that.  Because government loves nothing more than to get in the way and impede progress...

Ah, well, now that a serialized "firearm" can be just the fire control group, like the new Ruger American pistol or the Sig P320, maybe someone will make a truly modular, mix-and-match Tinkertoy handgun system where you just buy the serialized trigger bits once and can assemble any kind of handgun you want out of an array of choices, much like the AR in the rifle market.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 09:20:10 AM »
22Plinkster likes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE&t=726s  :)

His review contains a brief overview of the differences between the Mark I, II, III, and IV. 

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 01:21:08 PM »
FYI, if anyone is interested in a Mark III they are on sale almost everywhere.  Even the distributors are discounting them.  Not sure if they were surprised by the anouncement or if Ruger is just giving really good deals to get them out of the system.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »
FYI, if anyone is interested in a Mark III they are on sale almost everywhere.  Even the distributors are discounting them.  Not sure if they were surprised by the anouncement or if Ruger is just giving really good deals to get them out of the system.

sweet... maybe it's time to get a ii/iii now..

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »

That's got to be to clear inventory. If the new models shoot as well as the old ones why would anybody want the hassle of the old design?

sweet... maybe it's time to get a ii/iii now..

I would consider it. My III competition is one hell of a target gun. The Rugers just plain work. Nothing fancy, just rugged design. As far as being a pain to take apart, I clean mine once a year whether it needs it or not.  ;)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
Just a safety FYI for anyone who bought a Ruger Mark IV.   Ruger just announced a proactive recall.  Details are here: https://ruger.com/dataProcess/markIVRecall/

Good for Ruger to move so quickly on this issue.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 08:34:50 PM »
Thanks for posting, I4L.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 04:32:42 AM »
  My way t assemble the 'old' Ruger (as the range gunsmith I received many in bags and boxes from frustrated owners) is to

1 install barrel and bolt into frame (hammer need to be in 'cocked position to clear bolt insertion
2 pull trigger so hammer falls to firing position and hammer strut is up and clear
3  Start hammer spring locking piece into place where hook and pin are near home position
4 With trigger pulled,rotate muzzle upwards while watching hammer strut and position strut to seat on hammer spring
5 complete locking position of spring assembly, 1 minute job ...hammer strut position is the 'key' to success