Author Topic: Hello from Wyoming  (Read 4107 times)

Offline flanker

• Prepper
Hello from Wyoming
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:10 AM »
I was wondering what kind of following we have here in Wyoming?

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Hello from Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »
Two...........

In Casper.

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:48 PM »
Anyone else in the area?  I would like to build a local network to bounce ideas off.  Regards

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
There was a call on the last call in show from a gal that was from Wyoming but I believe we are it so far.

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
Born and raised in Lander.
Im  just outside Tucson now.

Offline longrifle

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 03:22:50 AM »
I'm from Sheridan area

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
Raised in Sheridan, now we live in Riverton.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »
Yea! Thanks for starting the Wyoming connection!  My husband and I are Glendo area.  I was the recent call-in gal mentioned!  :)  i was pretty stoked that my call got on the show!

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:50:29 PM »
Glad to hear from everyone.  Who has a garden started and what do you have planted.  We have a variety of berries, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, etc.  I would be interested in hearing what varieties you have planted and how they are doing.  I am going to start a new topic under gardening.  Hope to hear from everyone. 

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 05:40:27 PM »
We've got a 30x40 ft fenced-in garden in and I'm SO excited about it!  It's our first garden in 7 years!  We're doing pretty much the usual stuff, things we like to eat.  We tried a patch of hulless oats, can't wait to see how that turns out!  I did some 'companion planting' so it will be fun to see what really works.  Also trying some of the things Jack mentioned on podcast #192 regarding pest control. 

We purchased a couple grape vines - can't wait to see how those develop this first year . . .

Most everything our garden seemed to germinate pretty quick, but then this cold/wet spell set in. The moisture is great, but I think the cold is really slowing down growth.  It's supposed to warm up by the weekend . . .

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
What is the title of your new gardening topic?

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 08:32:05 AM »
Good to hear from you.  Sound like you are experiencing the same growth patterns.  We started a lot of plants indoors this year so it gave us a little head start.  Everything seems to be waiting for some warm days.

He is a link to the new topic--> http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=6160.0

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:37 AM »
I started up a garden also. Put in four 4x8 beds. I also put in some blueberry bushes and some grapes. I stuck them out but this late snow killed them all. I am also doing some of the tire potatoes and have them growing like mad. I have a few peppers, quite a few tomatoes, cabbage, put in some asparagus, pumpkins, squash, broccoli.
I would love to have a place to grow some malts and stuff for my beer brewing. I did fine a pod cast that talks about hops container gardening that I might look into. but I have a ton of fence line that I believe I am going to use that for though.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »
Okay Wyoming: Plants doing well in our garden are:  corn, baby squash, beans, peas, broccoli, onions, spinach, lettuce, oats, (all planted May 21) and peppers and toms(that were started early).

Plants seeming very slow:  (all from seed May 21) honeydew, watermelon, pumpkin, cauliflower, cukes, zucchini squash, cilantro, strawberry from seed, peppers and tomatoes.

I wonder why some things are going gang busters, and others are snails pace.  In fact, if things like the melons stay at this pace, I don't know how we'll get anything out of the slow stuff in the short season we have here.  Maybe I'll have to start more indoors next year . . . ??  Could it be the soil?  Or maybe it's just not warm enough?  Any suggestions?

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:52:17 PM »
Was just thinking, SURELY there are more than just 4 or 5 of us from Wyoming . . .  How do we find the rest of them on the forum?   :)

sage0925

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:01:01 PM »
Wyocrissy, I live 40 miles NE of Boise in the mountains...we have had unseasonably cold temps here for May/June, and I am having the same issues with pretty much the same plants. We bring the tomatoes and peppers inside at night, so we aren't having issues with them. All my herbs and flowers are growing really slow as well. So, I'm thinking it's the temps.

The squash I planted in the ground directly is doing a lot better than the squash I started indoors. The stuff started indoors is really leggy...the stems don't seem to be getting any thicker, either.

Sage

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
The wife when she grows melons here she only lets a couple flowers go. She plucks most of them so the plant can throw all of the energy into the melons. Works good got to do more plants.

Offline ToughTimes

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Deep Roots in Tough Times
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »
New here from the other survivor forum....just want to say HI from this side of WY, the upper right.
We are on the MT-WY state line...half in both states.

Responding to the garden thing...we were way late on the planting as it stayed so cool and wet...this last week was the first of the warm evenings and things have really taken off. We were lucky to miss the bad hail that passed through.
Peppers,tomatoes, zuccs,cucumbers,beans,onions,cantelope,watermelon&pumpkins. All doing good. BUT, do any of you have the grasshoppers moving through???

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:22 PM »
New here from the other survivor forum....just want to say HI from this side of WY, the upper right.
We are on the MT-WY state line...half in both states.

Responding to the garden thing...we were way late on the planting as it stayed so cool and wet...this last week was the first of the warm evenings and things have really taken off. We were lucky to miss the bad hail that passed through.
Peppers,tomatoes, zuccs,cucumbers,beans,onions,cantelope,watermelon&pumpkins. All doing good. BUT, do any of you have the grasshoppers moving through???

Hello ToughTimes!  Yea!!!  Another Wyomingite!   ;D  Welcome to the forum!!!  We are actually thinking about relocating to the Sheridan area - LOVE it up there!

Grasshoppers - we don't have very many yet in our garden area, but I notice swarms of them along the roadsides and in the grass and weeds.  I have a friend who's garden is almost eaten up by them!  We were starting to have a lot of ants, so I used Jack's suggestion to spray orange oil and they left!  It was amazing!  Don't know if that might work for the grasshoppers??  Or try some insecticidal soap . . .

Offline ToughTimes

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Deep Roots in Tough Times
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 12:31:49 AM »
Hi back at you!  I have been using Irish Spring in a spray bottle...gives the grasshoppers the shits and detours the rabbits away....maybe deer too,because i haven't had any tracks so far.

We will be combining wheat in two weeks if anyone wants fresh out of the combine, wheat in bulk. It's Hard Red SPRING wheat which is higher in protein than winter wheat.  You bring your containers,sacks,barrels or buckets and we will load up up.
Oh.. and it's ORGANIC for 39 cents a lb.   Alzada Montana or Hulett, Wy for pickup sites.
Contact me through forum or  crusty@dishmail.net

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
  We were starting to have a lot of ants, so I used Jack's suggestion to spray orange oil and they left!  It was amazing!
Where did you get it!!! I have had this problem for ever and looked around a bit for some but might be looking in the wrong place also.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »

We will be combining wheat in two weeks if anyone wants fresh out of the combine, wheat in bulk. It's Hard Red SPRING wheat which is higher in protein than winter wheat.  You bring your containers,sacks,barrels or buckets and we will load up up.
Oh.. and it's ORGANIC for 39 cents a lb.   Alzada Montana or Hulett, Wy for pickup sites.
Contact me through forum or  crusty@dishmail.net
Might have to get ahold of ya. I work in Upton and stay in Sundance sometime and have been looking for some wheat berries.

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »
Hello everyone sorry for the absence.  Here is an update on our garden.
-Tomatoes, peppers (hot & sweet) producing above expectations
-Cranberry plant, red cabbage and asparagus are doing very well
-Strawberries had a rough start but are going great guns now
-Potatoes were doing great but two hail storms have beaten them down some
-Zucchini, squash and onions are growing as expected
-Cucumbers had a rough start but are rebounding

We started
-8 cherry trees and 2 elderberry bushes which have doubled in size
-2 blueberry bushes are establishing themselves slowly

Incidentally, we tried container gardening this year.  All the plants with the exception of the potatoes, zucchini and squash are in containers.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
So, since I'm new to this gardening stuff, I didn't know that you needed to trim tomato plants.  I guess it helps them ripen.  So I did that yesterday, but I'm also concerned with the cool temps - have heard that the ground temperature at night is what signals the tomatoes to turn red.  So, we'll see if pruning them works, or if we'll also have to find some way to keep them a bit warmer at night.

Anyone else experiencing set-backs because of the cold?  Some of our trees on the creek are even starting to turn colors!!  Feels more like the end of September than mid August!!

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »
I know this is VERY late notice  ::)  but there is a Wyoming Liberty Fest going on this weekend (Aug 21-23) in Lander.  Speakers, food, shooting, and only I think $25.  Sounds like a lot of 9-12ers attending.  Check out the site below for more details.  Looks like a good time!  We want to go, but will see what develops tomorrow . . .

http://www.wyominglibertyfest.org/

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
My peppers are a no go this year. Nothing good from them at all. But new beds new dirt and all that along with the global warming errrrr cooling errrr whatever it is now. Only a few days here above 90.
Cabbage is ok, I did the potatoes in the tires and they are growing ok I have learned alot and know alot I am going to change next year with them. Tomatoes not so good I guess I would say fair to partly shitty. Spinach did great killed the beans for I learned chives and beans kill each other and I had them in the same bed. Broccoli nothing but I have some huge plants. My bro-in-law said he thinks they got to warm and will start up here in a few weeks with some heads.  Zucchini, squash nothing. In some bad soil and ground so we got to work on getting that spiced up this fall. asparagus plants all came up but a year or two away from getting any from them. Although my uncle that lives in Douglass said there are a ton growing along the creek next to where he lives so might be going down there this spring and getting a few tons of them.
I am going to put in a apple tree this fall and we put in a play area for the kid just this week. We fenced it off and we are going to use it as a patio also and going to plant a ton of container stuff in it for a nice green patio play area.

Offline Recycler4570

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »
I grew up in Pinedale, now near of Jackson.

I keep telling myself I should start a garden, but have made no effort so far. Mayby if I dig up and clear some sagebrush this fall I'll get something done next spring...

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 11:45:46 AM »
I spent 27 years in South West Wyoming and grew all sorts of things. One of the things I will suggest is a green house of some sort. A good design is to dig a hole in the ground or into a south facing slope. Then find some free wood somewhere. Someone tearing down a house or barn? ask if you can have some wood. Then ask around for people who replace windows, especially those who do those big glass patio doors. They throw the old ones away and you can sometimes get them for free. Build a fram like a lean to above the hole and lay the windows on the frame to make a glass roof. If you dig the hole as a long trench you can set up the windows as a lean to or triangle roof above you with very little framing. Build a step at both ends of the trench and add a frame for an old screen door.  These greenhouse will get really hot and add a month at each end of your growing season.

I built a pretty good sized one , out of mostly scrap, that grew 7 ft tall tomatoes and the cucumbers went crazy.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
Snow last night on Casper mountain. It is going to freeze tonight also they are saying. Need to cover the plants tonight.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Good to know!  Thanks for the heads up!