Author Topic: Hello from Wyoming  (Read 4287 times)

Offline slamfire69

• Fledgling Prepper
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/slamfire69
Re: Hello from Wyoming
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »
green river here!

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 09:53:25 PM »
Awesome!  Welcome to the forum!    :)

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »
Welcome slamfire69.

Didnt freeze it got down to 38 last night but still no freeze. I did greenhouse my tomatoes in my raised bed though. The hail stripped my green peppers.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 05:34:42 PM »
Well, we did get a light frost the morning of the 23rd.  But I was pleasantly surprised to find my garden unaffected!  Of course there are several things that are just played out and done for the season, like the corn, honeydew, watermelon. And a few barely hanging on like cucs, beans and summer squash.  But the tomatoes, bell peppers, carrots, jalapenos and broccoli are still coming in strong and showed NO signs of any damage from the frost!  Cool!  We get to keep enjoying stuff a bit longer!

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
OK - Sunday night it froze - cuz my garden DIED!!!!  :'( 

A couple things will be fine for a while longer - of course the broccoli, and I have a bunch of carrots still in the ground.  And I was still able to bring a bunch of tomatoes in that were unharmed!

Some of my garden flowers survived it for now - the alyssum, yarrow and catmint.  Hardy stuff.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »
Had a good snow fall last night. Trees where breaking all over and all night due to the weight of the snow.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
Wow - you got a bunch!  We just got flurries in between rain and sleet.  Fall is in full swing - but it still seems too early to me . . . 

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 07:44:29 PM »
Hey Wyoming - I've been out for a while now!  Moving . . . need I say more?  Life is starting to resemble normal, finally.

Soooo . . . we're in Sheridan now!  Leaving the Glendo/Douglas area was real tough, especially on my two older kids.  But we've been wanting to come up this way for a few years now, and this was the time to make the break.  (After the house closed.)  Anyway, we're just a stones throw away now from DT10!  So I'm really hoping the hubby agrees to go!

But its great to be back reading the forum after being 'out' for a couple/few weeks!

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
Hope you do go. I am in so that would be great to get us Wyoming people there to meet up!

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2010, 02:42:21 PM »
Everyone from Wyoming might want to start to contact your state senators for some good bills that could have a hard time getting passed!

Mental Avenger

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
Sheridan, born and raised.  Left for 30 years, visited 22 countries and 39 US states.  Moved back to Sheridan.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
Welcome aboard.

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
Been absent for a long time so here is a quick update.  We have had a few changes in our lives.  Our daughter was born, and we moved to 5 acres outside of town.  We now have chickens, the garden is planned out, and the seedlings have been started.  Still would like to get together, any ideas?

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
Been busy as heck also. Got some cold weather stuff in the ground and a little green house over them beings the weather keeps wanting to go down in the mid 20's at night.
Glad you got some land and such!

Offline RightArmOfWyoming

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 09:53:54 PM »
I'm in Casper.

--Michael Dean

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
Hey Michael - Glad you found us here in Region 7!  I read your article on leaving CA and coming to Wyoming with guns - great choice!  Nice to hear that you've felt right at home!   :)  I've been privileged to have grown up in this state, living in 7 different towns, and wouldn't think of leaving!

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Howdy, Chrissy!

I call this one "Rush hour in Wyoming":

Michael W. Dean
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:50:02 PM by RightArmOfWyoming »

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Gotta love it!!!!   ;D

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:30 PM »
Free feisty Wyoming protest rock:
http://www.stinkfight.com/2010/01/08/free-feisty-libertarian-punk-rock-mp3s-for-our-readers/

and some antelope, in a city park in Casper:

MWD

• Survivor
    • Libertarian Punk blog
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
Okay Wyoming: Plants doing well in our garden are:  corn, baby squash, beans, peas, broccoli, onions, spinach, lettuce, oats, (all planted May 21) and peppers and toms(that were started early).

Snow this morning pretty much killed our tulips. meh.

MWD

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
I think that we got 7 inches of sow this week in Cheyenne area. I have the usual plants growing in the house and will wait till June 1 to plant outside. Catnip is up along with tulips, onions and garlic which over wintered, radishes are up fromlast year too. Peppers, basil, tomatos still producing from last year.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
Howdy Michael in Casper also here.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
Pretty excited to get seeds in the ground!!  The new garden is almost ready to go - just need our drip irrigation set up and we're golden!!  I've heared we can get frosts here in Sheridan/Big Horn as late as June 6th, but with it being 85 degrees today, it just doesn't seem possible!  (But I know it IS, cuz this is WYOMING!)   :-\ 

What dates are some of you out there planning on planting the tomatoes, cukes, stc. - warm weather stuff?

Offline flanker

• Prepper
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »
Looking at planting this weekend or next.  Weather guys still have not sold me on no more frost.  People around here tell me to wait till June 1.

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
I used to wait until June 10th in Southwest Wyo. Until I built my green house.  ;)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Visiting Wyoming in July
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »
I am looking to relocate to Wyoming and heading on a family vacation to Casper, then checking out Buffalo and Sheridan. On the way back down we are going to check out Cheyenne, and Laramie.

I would be much obliged if any of my fellow ants in Wyoming can recommend other towns to visit that may be nice for relocating a small family looking for quiet country living, hunting, fishing, and healthy employment.  ;D

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:05 AM »
I am looking to relocate to Wyoming and heading on a family vacation to Casper, then checking out Buffalo and Sheridan. On the way back down we are going to check out Cheyenne, and Laramie.

I would be much obliged if any of my fellow ants in Wyoming can recommend other towns to visit that may be nice for relocating a small family looking for quiet country living, hunting, fishing, and healthy employment.  ;D

*** A BIG issue here in Wyoming is earning a living....  Last I heard Buffalo/Sheridan prices had jumped a lot in the last 15 years. Great towns true as long as you have outside income.  Riverton and Lander are also good - Lander is where NOLS is based and Brunton Compasses are made in that area too.
Rawlins... hummmm  there is a reason that the state pen is there :{

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Visiting Wyoming in July
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »

Making a living in Wyoming is very hard to do as RSW said.

That said, however, look to the Guernsey area, Torrington, or even Newcastle as well - all on the east side of the state. Beautiful country, Newcastle has hills just north of it, Torrignton and Guernsey are grasslands with rolling hills. Ain't no grass in Lander or Dubois!!   ;D

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »
Pathfinder and RichstillinWyo,

Thanks for the information, much appreciated. I am a teacher and those jobs are scarce. My wife is in the medical administration field. I have seen a few rare teaching jobs scattered around the Laramie/Cheyenne area and Casper. What I have observed is that housing is very high, and land is not affordable for a lower-middle-class class family.

However, I will see how my scouting mission/vacation turns out.  :) 

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Pathfinder and RichstillinWyo,

What I have observed is that housing is very high, and land is not affordable for a lower-middle-class class family.

Well, the housing recession didn't hit as hard here as it did in other parts of the country, so yes, land is still a little pricey.  BUT we do have some of the lowest taxes in the nation!  No state income tax, low sales and property taxes.  And the state as a whole is pretty fiscally responsible and one of the few in the black, so they won't be riddling their constituents with tax increases to cover their butt like other places!

I've lived in 8 Wyoming towns:  (Wheatland, Glendo, Douglas, Torrington, Riverton, Jackson, Sheridan and Laramie) - pretty much all over except the southwest (for good reason - stay away from Rock Springs, Evanston, Rawlins,).  If you want to stay out of the wind look at Riverton, Lander, Glendo, Buffalo and Sheridan. 

We live in Sheridan now, and BY FAR it's my FAVORITE place in the whole state!  Well, we loved Jackson, but it was WAY too expensive and a little snooty.  But Sheridan is down-home friendly, and has SO much to offer!  The only bummer is housing prices, but they are dropping and the market is flooded so that will continue for a while.  If you have two incomes, it shouldn't be a huge problem.  And we've found that 5 acres here can support 3 horses for an entire summer!  (In most parts of Wyoming they would turn it to dirt in a few weeks!) 

Anyway, if your wife is in the medical field there may be a few possibilities here.  We have a huge VA center, a cancer center, large hospital,  2 urgent care clinics, a couple alternative schools, WyStar treatment centers, and several elderly facilities (25% of the population is over retirement age).  Just some ideas.....

As for teaching, there's the usual public schools in Sheridan, but also a couple other small schools in the surrounding towns of Ranchester and Big Horn that are within 15 minutes.  Also Sheridan College and 2 or 3 alternative schools (mentined above) (Wyoming Girls School, Normative Services)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about your trip and your discoveries!  Best wishes!