Author Topic: Hello from Wyoming  (Read 4015 times)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »
Back to gardening........hearing horror story predictions of grasshoppers, and I'm seeing a LOT of them in my garden.  Surprisingly they are not eating the lettuce.  But they are attacking radish leaves and my morning glories.....

I spread some Semaspore bait a few weeks ago....maybe should do it again?  Any suggestions to ward off the little pests?

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »
Thanks Wyochrissy,

It was a fantastic trip. The family and I caught 2 Brooke trout within an hour at Lake Owen. We also fished the Laramie River at Woods Landing. Blue skies, clean air, a lot greener than I expected, keep in mind I am a native of high desert cactus terrain.

We loved the Jelm mountain area. Antelope were everywhere on the side of the 230 highway.  Old Downtown Laramie was nice and empty, with charm. My wife fell in love with Laramie; however, the amount of Obama stickers on vehicles made me uncomfortable with the possible political climate.

Nevertheless, we checked out the hospital at Laramie along with schools. The local gas station Conoco had reloading materials, ammo, firearms, and fishing equipment and this endeared me to the beautiful state of Wyoming.

I drove 4 hours and did not see one highway patrol vehicle on the I-80 from Evanston to Laramie. For a guy that lives in a Police State in a city close to 2 million people, the freedom felt in Wyoming was intoxicating.

We were not too hot for Evanston, Rock Springs, Rawlins area. Checked out Rock River and Medicine Bow area and it was nice and quiet with potential for isolated homestead.

Cheyenne was a disappointment. It was too crowded, and lacked the Wyoming feel to it. We didn't bother checking out the hospital or schools there.

The Medicine Bow mountains are gorgeous. I expected to see more open carry, but did not see this. I also mercifully did not run into any grizzlies. LOL. I spoke to locals and they told me only black and brown bears, and mountain lions were present in the mountain area I was in.

We are already planning another trip up to Sheridan and Buffalo area for March 2011.

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2010, 07:46:46 PM »
Glad you had a nice trip!  A few more thoughts......

Laramie is a WONDERFUL town!  We lived there for over 6 years, mostly as married college students.  For the size it is, it offers more culture than other Wyoming towns, due to the University.  Lots of sports, art, concerts, etc.  But with that (as you observed) comes a lot of liberals/Obama lovers.  All those educated people are so 'enlightened'   ::)  Which is why it needs more people like you!   ;)

Anyway, the winters are long and harsh, (summers cool and short - our corn only got knee high and we discovered that might just be where those little mini salad corn ears come from!  lol)  Quite a bit of wind, but we still loved it and if I didn't love Sheridan so much I'd move back there. :)  A bit of a transient community (again, college town).  Housing prices have been super high (mid 90's), came down (after we left in 2000), back up again, and not sure where it is now!  Kind of depends on supply/demand with rentals for students etc.

If you are looking to live out of town, I would head towards Woods Landing, which seemed to be where you liked.  :)  Centennial is pretty harsh - can be blizarding there while the sun is shining in Laramie.  If you head east up I-80 towards Cheyenne (Happy Jack, Veedavou, etc) there's some cool property (pricey), but that road gets NASTY in the winter and would not be good for daily travel.

Yes - Rock River and Medicine Bow are VERY isolated, and if that's what you're looking for, I would bet you could get ahold of some land pretty cheap.....I think.

And guns in Wyoming - yes we do have a lot of freedom here, sometimes I forget and think it's that way everywhere, but I know it's not.  Just the other day we were in Rocky Mountain Discount Sports.  I've been in there several times and never thought twice about it until my out-of-state brother commented on the huge gun display on the wall.  Over a hundred guns for sale, all hanging on a wall, just there for you to pick up and look at.  He was like, "never seen that before".  To which my husband replied, "Only in Wyoming"

Gotta love it!  TTFN

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
I agree Laramie is a great town!!! It's my second home, I lived out there for about 5 years in the early 90's (WyoTech & UW) and still have close family out there. I even enlisted in the military as a Wyoming resident (no state tax - w00t!) and always wanted to return there to live, but unfortunately life had other ideas for me...

I really miss hiking at Vedauwoo, Happy Jack and out by Centennial (which is my favorite hiking spot btw, the mountain lakes are absolutely gorgeous out there), the openness of the sky, the landscape, crisp clean air, the ocassional stop by the Buckhorn Bar or Fireside Lounge and even the friendly people (plus nobody wears colorful sage shirts and stetsons on the east coast). I go back every chance I get; in fact I'm due for a trip west actually! Damnit, I hate my desk job in the city!!! -MH

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

Anyway, the winters are long and harsh, (summers cool and short - our corn only got knee high and we discovered that might just be where those little mini salad corn ears come from!  lol)  Quite a bit of wind, but we still loved it and if I didn't love Sheridan so much I'd move back there. :)  A bit of a transient community (again, college town).  Housing prices have been super high (mid 90's), came down (after we left in 2000), back up again, and not sure where it is now!  Kind of depends on supply/demand with rentals for students etc.

If you are looking to live out of town, I would head towards Woods Landing, which seemed to be where you liked.  :)  Centennial is pretty harsh - can be blizarding there while the sun is shining in Laramie.  If you head east up I-80 towards Cheyenne (Happy Jack, Veedavou, etc) there's some cool property (pricey), but that road gets NASTY in the winter and would not be good for daily travel.

*** I used ta commute between Laramie and Cheyenne daily.....  Just after I stopped doing that in 2004 early August we had our worst accident up on I 80 in a white out. Several fatalities, both hospitals were over loaded and the life flights had to take people to Fort Collins and Denver. Some of the dead had to be IDed via DNA.
My point being that it does not need to be WINTER here to be nasty.....  of course some Dec/Jan have been shirt sleaves and shorts too.

Rich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
Thanks for the feedback friends. My wife and I lived a few years in Olympia, Washington after we married. It was very liberal due to the University, and it didn't bother us too much as we had no kids at the time. We visited last year with our kids and realized we were no longer the early 20's college students, and that we did not like Olympia anymore.

I'm sure if Sheridan downtown is as charming as Laramie, my wife will be just fine. LOL. We loved the abundance of wildlife.

The family and I are definitely sold on Wyoming. Friendliest people I have ever met were from Montana and Wyoming. I need a town a bit more older that is more family oriented than college students like Laramie.

I love the fact my Stetson and boots don't stand out. I have been warned about the I-80 in blizzard conditions which I take seriously after experiencing black ice and fog from the Pacific Northwest.

The commute from Medicine Bow area to Laramie isn't too bad and property prices are high but reasonable compared to other areas in WY.

Sheridan makes the most economical sense with the hospital there, and not a lot of jobs in the small hospital, or school district in Laramie. I spoke with a fellow angler and he explained the Big Horn Mountains were his fave fishing spots. That is a plus as I looked up the streams I could hit up there. Closer proximity to Montana opens up a lot of doors for hunting if I needed.

We are going to check out Sheridan next. :) I just wish we thought of Wyoming five years ago........

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
Anyone else in Wyoming having problems with grasshoppers???  I hate those things!!  They are everywhere in my garden, but fortuneately (so far) are only damaging the radish leaves, spinach, morning glories, and beans.   >:(  Before it's all over I'm sure they'll find a few more things to munch on!

Spirko answered my call in question on them last week and I'll be trying a couple things he mentioned. 

Stupid bugs.

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
Anyone else in Wyoming having problems with grasshoppers???  I hate those things!!  They are everywhere in my garden, but fortuneately (so far) are only damaging the radish leaves, spinach, morning glories, and beans.   >:(  Before it's all over I'm sure they'll find a few more things to munch on!

Spirko answered my call in question on them last week and I'll be trying a couple things he mentioned. 

Stupid bugs.

Dry roasted with a bit of salt. store in the freezer. When ready to use, grind fine and mix with flour for gravy or soup....

Rich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2010, 11:28:35 AM »
Does anyone know if Highway 34 near Sybille Springs is vehicle accessible in the winters during snow?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »
Took WyoChrissy's advice.

Moving in 2 weeks to Laramie. Wife got a job offer, so we leave in 2 weeks. Thanks for all the help. Now just need to find housing.  :)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Took WyoChrissy's advice.

Moving in 2 weeks to Laramie. Wife got a job offer, so we leave in 2 weeks. Thanks for all the help. Now just need to find housing.  :)

Wow!  That was quick!  Hope the move goes well  (that's always a joy! especially if it's a distance!)  Let us know how things work out.  :) 

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
Does anyone know if Highway 34 near Sybille Springs is vehicle accessible in the winters during snow?

Oh yes - and if you're talking about the Hwy through Sybille Canyon that takes you to I-25/Wheatland, it is open year round.  Closed for occational storms, and can get pretty hairy, but they keep it plowed pretty well.  And they've spent the last 7 (or so) summers improving it  - most of it is wider now and curves aren't so sharp.  Fewer accidents now, it's much safer than 'back in the day.'  

Beautiful drive, no?

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Okay - and while I'm here I want to put a plug in for Mike Masser at the Wyoming Firearms Academy here in Sheridan.  (He also offers courses in Gillette)  I've taken two classes from him this summer and he is awesome!  I learned SO much and am so much more confident with my 9mm and my situational awareness.  The remaining classes this year are filled up, but he will have a schedule out for 2011 in Nov or Dec.  Here's the website:  www.wyomingfa.com  Anyway, if you want gun training, Mike can take care of the beginners to the advanced.  Can't wait to take another class!

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »
Any Winter advice for a newbie Wyoming resident?

Talked to some locals and some guy told me it averages -40 degrees during the winter. I kind of laughed it off but have had several people warn me it is below zero on average. I had expectations of below freezing but nothing this extreme for a sustained winter.  :D

I live in Laramie, so any advice from preppers in the area would be much appreciated. Also any cold weather advice for vehicles and little ones would be great.

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Howdy Anti-federalist, Not sure if you are familiar with the Free State Wyoming Forum but there are several good folks in Laramie that you should get together with. Contact them at  http://www.fundamentalsoffreedom.com/fswforum/index.php    .
Yes it will get cold. Talk to some locals about putting heaters on your vehicle engines. Be sure you have warm clothing. Layers are best. Drink lots of water , year round. Put together a box or bag of survival supplies for each vehicle. If you do get stuck somewhere in the winter do not leave the car. In Wyoming , folks are real good about finding/ helping other folks when a storm hits. You will learn to watch the weather closely. I have traveled I-80 from east to west and back hundreds of times. Only been stuck in a bad storm once. Over in Medicine bow in fact!
Did you find a place with some land or renting for a while?
I have land over near Elk Mountain.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
Thanks Wyomiles for the link. I will certainly check it out.

I am currently renting as I have made a major relocation in a very short period of time. Moving from a city of 2 million people, to peaceful Laramie, Wyoming with a population under 30k has been a dramatic pleasant change. City life makes you spoiled, and the cooler climate is refreshing.  The quiet is amazing, I am so used to police sirens, helicopters, planes, ambulances; Laramie is great.

I had a difficult week adjusting to the elevation, but feel a heck of a lot better now. Thanks for the cold weather advice. I spoke with a rancher and he gave me really good advice that I will try out on my gas engine vehicles. My friendly neighbor pointed out insulating the pipes to our place, or the water would freeze overnight. Got advice on snow plowed roads, and always have preps in my vehicle.

I am looking to purchase land in the area. I explored the Medicine Bow area. However, I am worried about the isolation in winter storms, and hunting traffic in Medicine Bow.

Elk mountain area is gorgeous and grabbed my eye when I made my first drive on I-80 to Laramie. I am watching the weekly weather forecast every night before bed.  ;)

Offline wyomiles

• Survivor
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
Your welcome,
Well take your time in finding a place to settle. Renting first is a good choice as it gives you time to look around and a chance to bail if you decide that Laramie wasn't for you. Living there through this winter will also give you a chance to observe the weather. Wyoming is pretty good at keeping the roads open but there are some spots that might be a little isolated and take some time to dig out from drifting snow. Folks have been living and dealing with it for 100's of years so it depends on how prepared you are. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by getting to know the locals.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
Re: Hello
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2010, 02:06:58 AM »
-14 degrees tonight. I have the battery blanket and oil pan heater on for overnight.

Anyone know any public land areas near Laramie for outdoor target shooting?

I was surprised there are zero rifle ranges in Laramie for anything larger than .22 caliber.

I was reading Cheyenne is building a massive outdoor shooting park, but it won't be done for another 2 years.

Offline RichStillinWyo

• Prepper
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
The "Cheyenne Regulators" have a nice range on Otto Road a few miles west of Cheyenne. And if you go a mile farther west is an open range that is marked.

Rich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2011, 12:11:28 AM »
Thanks Rich. I appreciate the information.

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »
It was interesting reading these posts. Last year I was hot on moving to Wyoming, and even attended the DT 10 event plus traveled around Wyoming and camped a lot, including in the Big Horn Mountains (awesome!). I loved it all. As far as possible relocation areas (I live in Ohio), Sheridan topped the last after my month-long visit.

Since then, I have changed my thinking quite a bit, mostly through just getting tired of what the politicians are doing to our country and the loss of freedoms. Now I am considering moving to Latin America. I like the idea of little to no regulation, no strong winters, and just the idea of the adventure of it all (Wyoming also represents adventure to me).

But truthfully, Wyoming still calls. I don't know where I will end up. Hoping to retire this summer sometime. I've even thought about summering in Wyoming and wintering in Costa Rica, Panama, or Ecuador. Yep, I know I sound like a wimp, but I have survived Ohio and Michigan winters and even enjoy some of the winter activities, but since I've been on a couple of Caribbean cruises, the idea of being down thataway is enticing for my waning years.

On the other hand, if I don't get out of the East pretty soon, I may be sunk, lol. Decisions, decisions.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »
Hi Stormchaser,

it snowed all morning today and by 3pm most of the wet snow has melted here in Laramie. My wife is inpatient about the warmer weather coming (she dislikes the constant wind). So the winters are a factor to seriously seriously consider.

The elevation here is around 7K and actually took me about 5 months to feel normal again physically.

In January the family and I were essentially trapped indoors (cabin fever) because of the sub zero temperatures. In February and March we were restricted from traveling to the mountains and public land to do anything because the thick snow would not melt and stays on the ground and those county and access roads are not maintained.

That was a bit frustrating. However, in April we have been able to get to public land areas just not the mountains yet. Overall, we really enjoy Wyoming's freedom loving ideas that pushed legislation for concealed carry without permits come this July (I believe). We love seeing the wildlife and are ready for summer fishing and hunting season after that. We love that we don't live in a Police State, no traffic jams, no constant smog.

So we have been here six months in Wyoming and still going strong.  :)

Offline wyomingmike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2012, 11:23:30 PM »
Hey I just found the forum and found this thred.
wanted to get it started again.
I live in Riverton and was wondeing if there was anyone out there still.
Most all the posts are pretty old but saw some from Riverton and Lander.
Mike

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
Still out and around for me. Troll mostly these days

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
Hey I just found the forum and found this thred.
wanted to get it started again.
I live in Riverton and was wondeing if there was anyone out there still.
Most all the posts are pretty old but saw some from Riverton and Lander.
Mike

I'm surprised there aren't that many Wyomingites here Mike.

I'm in Laramie and getting ready for hunting season already.

Give out a shout if you are in Wyoming.

We are getting a brilliant thunder lightning storm tonight.

Offline ndredneck

• Prepper
  • buff maintenance
    • NoDak Arms
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »
Moving to Cheyenne early next year.....advice, what to expect, seasons, nursing jobs, how’s the housing market?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
I live south of Cheyenne about 45 minutes away. If you work in Cheyenne avoid living in places like Laramie and commuting. For one thing the Laramie housing market is comparable to an expensive big city with a million population. The University inflates the value of the market causing prices for rental to be outrageous and small old homes grossly high.

Second, the I-80 access is horrendous during the winter with heavy congestion of trucks driving in our goods for consumption and occasionally getting into wrecks. Ice and white out conditions have prompted road closures. I would guess the weather is similar to North Dakota so you won't suffer much culture shock.

Expect high winds 40 mph on average with dozens of days with gusts above that during the winter. Cheyenne is slightly warmer than Laramie, we get -30 to -50 degrees in the winter at night a few nights out of the winter.

Best thing I like is sunny winter days, they make an incredible difference for me even when it's -1 as the high during the day.

Offline ndredneck

• Prepper
  • buff maintenance
    • NoDak Arms
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
The Sage of Monticello -- thanks for the info!

as you said its not to much difference from ND.....-40 and below...i have to be close to Cheyenne.....Active Duty. So far everything i see with the community looks great! way better than Minot ND. As far as camping/shooting/off-roading things are looking great....alittle cold weather wont scare me off....the first few months will be with out wife and kids. When they show up any idea on 4H or FFA kind of stuff. I don't know where to buy(house) yet.....so if i can pre plan that kinda stuff it will make life better!

Any info is appreciated

Offline ndredneck

• Prepper
  • buff maintenance
    • NoDak Arms
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2012, 08:05:23 PM »
FFL's, Gun Shops in Cheyenne?

Offline beewhispererwyosurvival

• Prepper
  • Beekeeper/Fuel Specialist/Survival instructor
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2013, 08:27:09 AM »
Yea! Thanks for starting the Wyoming connection!  My husband and I are Glendo area.  I was the recent call-in gal mentioned!  :)  i was pretty stoked that my call got on the show!

I have a retreat in Glendo...out by Elk Creek.