Author Topic: Feeding ducks and chickens  (Read 3320 times)

Offline bristgus

• Prepper
Feeding ducks and chickens
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
What can be grown on the land other than corn to feed ducks and chickens other than corn? I know they can forage on their own, but is there anything that can produce ample amounts of feed for them? Nuts, fruits, wheats and grasses?

Thanks!

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
Re: Feeding ducks and chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:22 PM »
Grass and bugs will keep your chickens happy. You may want to supplement with feed to make sure they're getting all the nutrients they need.

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 08:36:28 PM »
Flax seed boosts Omega 3 in your eggs!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »
Flax seed boosts Omega 3 in your eggs!

Klapton +1
Where I am in Ohio, flax is a perennial. And its attractive as a year around plant with flowers that start early spring and go well into the heat of summer. It slowly spreads but in my case hasn't taken over the flower bed.
Great stuff for the landscape and great for health.
I sprinkle a little toasted flax seed on my breakfast cereal and mix it in meatloaf.
 ;D

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:08 PM »
Ours foraged through spring and summer and got mixed grains with lots of whatever was cheap.  We raised a lot of milo for the chickens, ducks, geese, and turkys. 

I haven't run into a grain they wouldn't eat unless they were too small to swallow it.

Do keep a bit of grit around.  It assists with digestion.

Brewguy

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »
I like the flax idea, I'll have to look into that for here in PA. 

I was wondering at what age can I let them feed themselves?  I'd like to raise some meat birds and I'd like as natural a diet as possible. 

We have some hens now and they get some layer feed at night but forage all day, it seems to be working well for us so far.