Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Wild Turkey ?

<< < (2/3) > >>

ModernSurvival:
For those that have never heard a grouse drum

http://www.all-birds.com/Sound/ruffed-grouse-drum.wav

In the woods it sounds "deeper" with more base to it.

SwampMonster:
I really enjoy wild turkey. Ours eat on Chufa most all there lives so the meat is oh so sweet. To bad the season is a few mts still togo. However bow season for deer comes in next weekend, and quail is in now.  As soon as we can get a first frost wild pig and squirrel are on the menu.

ColdHaven:
I have been researching hunting laws and the like up here in NC. So far as I understand you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. There are several kinds of game that wander through my mom's land. Quail, turkey, deer, doves... I am wanting to learn how to hunt from someone, and in the meantime I have been learning online how to clean various animals. Mostly birds right now. Though some turkey might end up on the menu if I can figure out how to clean them.

SwampMonster:

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on October 13, 2008, 05:28:25 PM ---I have been researching hunting laws and the like up here in NC. So far as I understand you do not need a license to hunt on your own property. There are several kinds of game that wander through my mom's land. Quail, turkey, deer, doves... I am wanting to learn how to hunt from someone, and in the meantime I have been learning online how to clean various animals. Mostly birds right now. Though some turkey might end up on the menu if I can figure out how to clean them.

--- End quote ---

Just clean them like a big chicken, its not messy but the feathers go everywhere. you might need to ask a conservation officer about needing a licence. Dove might be an exception since they are truly considered a migratory bird like waterfowl and have federal regulations regarding them.

As for cleaning large birds all clean the same, as do large game, deer, pig ect. There are tricks. I use a breaster on the preserve and can clean dove and quail in less than 45sec, a Pheasant takes a little bit longer. I have never kept time of me cleaning a deer, I just take my time and have a few drinks and enjoy the blood and guts.

Swamp

dragonart:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 04, 2008, 04:52:30 PM ---
 Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?

I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
The indians called this the crazy moon - in the fall the birds eat fermented berries that have alcohol in them and fly into things.

--- End quote ---

Hi, it is absolutely not gamey and there is a good amount of white / breast meat.  It has a sweeter flavor than domesticated turkey and a slightly different texture.  Because it is so low in fat, you would need to marinate or baste/cover it with some kind of fat before cooking, and cook at a lower, slower temperature. 

With cleaning...there are two ways.  You can either remove the skin and feathers all in one shot and just remove the turkey breast, or you can gut the bird, pull out the larger wing feathers, and then dip the cleaned carcass in nearly boiling water for about 1-2 minutes, then ice cold water for a minute...the feathers will mostly come right out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version