Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Settin Hen

<< < (2/2)

archer:

--- Quote from: sschoolc on February 27, 2009, 07:45:48 AM ---Well I just feel like crying.   We had an egg hatch early this week and yesterday the chicky disapeered.   That was bad, but this morning my son called me at work and all of the eggs are gone out of the nest.  There were at least 20 eggs yesterday.   I assume a rat or possum got in somehow.  So its war!!   Im setting my live trap tonight if that doesnt work then I'll break out the steal traps.   We were so happy that we had one hatch and now we are all heartbroken.    :'(

--- End quote ---
Sorry for your losses. Good luck finding the thief...

Rosesandtea:
Oh dear, that is too bad.  :( It is very upsetting to lose one of your animals.   Go ahead and cry - I do when we lose one of ours!!

A gardener who is collecting a greenhouse from us told me that when he was younger and his mother or gran kept chickens, if an animal got in for the eggs, the rats would just eat them right there and make a mess, but the hedgehogs would roll the eggs away somehow.  I don't know if that is always true but if it is it might help you know how to catch your predator.  Do remember to keep deadly things out of reach of your chickens and that chickens can find ways to get places we never thought they'd try!!

I hope you have a more successful clutch later in the year.  When you next see broodiness get the hen set in a good vermin-proof house/run, letting her out a little to be with the rooster each day if you want more eggs, before shutting her in again, is what I would do.   It sounds like you have a good setting hen, one that will sit tight.  All  the best for next time around, I bet you will have success.

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: sschoolc on February 27, 2009, 07:45:48 AM ---Well I just feel like crying.   We had an egg hatch early this week and yesterday the chicky disapeered.   That was bad, but this morning my son called me at work and all of the eggs are gone out of the nest.  There were at least 20 eggs yesterday.   I assume a rat or possum got in somehow.  So its war!!   Im setting my live trap tonight if that doesnt work then I'll break out the steal traps.   We were so happy that we had one hatch and now we are all heartbroken.    :'(

--- End quote ---
That's a bummer.

I remember when one of our hens went "broody" for the first time.  We were so excited also.

The eggs were gone?  As in nothing left of them in the coop?  That's strange, I'd think there would be remnants left of what didn't get eaten. 

Best of luck taking the bugger out (whatever it is).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version