Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Dairy Goats

<< < (3/3)

Da Fat Kid:
But why would they want wethers (castrated males) if they want to produce goats milk ? Myself I can't stand goats milk. However some people can't drink cows milk and others think goats milk is the best thing going. To each thie own!!!

shadewolf:
To keep the goat milk from tatsting 'goaty', it's really important to ensure your milking stand, pail and equipment are all really clean and once you're done milking, get that milk chilled or into the fridge within a really short time. The faster you get it chilled, the longer it will keep and better it will taste. :-D

Aunt Bee:

--- Quote from: shadewolf on March 06, 2009, 07:59:59 PM ---To keep the goat milk from tatsting 'goaty', it's really important to ensure your milking stand, pail and equipment are all really clean and once you're done milking, get that milk chilled or into the fridge within a really short time. The faster you get it chilled, the longer it will keep and better it will taste. :-D

--- End quote ---

I agree....goat or cow milk must be handled carefully to avoid introducing bacteria that will give it an off taste but it's not complicated at all.  Actually when it comes to raw milk, I prefer goat's milk.  It has a sweeter richer taste to me.  My raw goat milk lasts much longer in the fridge than even the store bought cow's milk.  It's not unusual for it to still smell and taste fresh at two weeks but I'm very particular about cleaning the udder well before milking and getting the milk strained and in the fridge immediately. 

Milk goats are a big commitment in time.  They must be milked daily no matter how sick, tired or busy you may be...I milk once a day but most folks milk twice.  They like a routine and if you get them in one right away, they do pretty well.  Ours rarely have gotten out of their pen and it's always been our fault if they do.  They like their pen and will run back to it when we let them out to browse.  We have an electric fence around their browsing area but they won't hardly stay in it alone LOL.

Goats aren't exactly low maintenance animals.  Contrary to popular belief, they can't eat everything.  They need routine in their diets too,  their hooves need trimmed once a month and they must also be wormed regularly.  I love mine and they are are my best prep item and I'm not trying to discourage anyone...I think everyone should have a couple but definitely do your homework and research before making the commitment.  It took me two years and I backed out twice before I took the plunge.  Here are a few sites that helped get me started.

http://fiascofarm.com/

http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=84tlr2mkuopdpfbuhnp6hg6611&

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Coyote:

--- Quote from: Aunt Bee on March 07, 2009, 12:12:25 AM ---I agree....goat or cow milk must be handled carefully to avoid introducing bacteria that will give it an off taste but it's not complicated at all.  Actually when it comes to raw milk, I prefer goat's milk.  It has a sweeter richer taste to me.  My raw goat milk lasts much longer in the fridge than even the store bought cow's milk.  It's not unusual for it to still smell and taste fresh at two weeks but I'm very particular about cleaning the udder well before milking and getting the milk strained and in the fridge immediately. 
--- End quote ---

Aunt Bee is right.  Cooling the milk as soon as possible is very important as is cleanliness.  Small volumes may cool fast enough (<40F in under 30 minutes is what I've seen quoted).  Larger volumes may need to go into an ice bath to get the temp down.  I read somewhere that a gallon of milk straight from the udder requires 24 hours in the fridge to equilibrate temp wise which gives bacteria time to grow. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version