Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Skinning Chickens

(1/2) > >>

Garrett:
I am planning my final homestead, which is a few years out, and we are very interested in raising chickens for eggs and for meat.  Having never raised/butchered chickens, I did some research.  As with duck hunting, it is very labor intensive. 

My question is, can you just skin a chicken, or just breast it out if you had to, or do you have to dunk it in hot water and then pluck the whole thing?

Thanks,

Garrett

Bighorn:
You can skin them, my neighbor does. I have only plucked and processed two, but it wasnt very difficult. It only took 30 minutes from coop to frig for two, my first time.

Tony

Garrett:
tony,

Thats good to know.  30 minutes for two is a good amount of time.  Thanks for the reply!

Garrett

Bighorn:
Yeah 30 minutes is a lot of time, but....
1) that was my first time
2) I didn't know how to set up my work area efficiently
3) I didn't know enough about processing to do it quickly

I believe that with practice I could do one in less than 10 minutes, and with better equipment, like a Whizz Bang plucker, much less than that. Regardless of the time it wasn't such an onerous task that I would dread it. I believe I might invest in 25 Cornish Rock Crosses this summer and put them in the freezer for the winter. Heck we might even sell a few to the neighbors. Add that to our egg selling.

Linker:
one thing i have learned is when plucking make sure the water is very hot, almost boiling.it makes it so much easier.the first time i did it my water was not hot enough and i spent alot of time plucking the pin feathers that did not come off making it a very labour intensive project and disgusting my family with the ones i missed.with the water much hotter it was a breeze

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version