Author Topic: Newest member to my family  (Read 4176 times)

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
Newest member to my family
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »
This is Tala.  She's a 9 month old husky that is very well trained for still being a puppy.  I got her for free on Craigslist today and couldn't be happier. 

Now, for the survival twist, no she's not your typical hunting/guard/attack dog, but what can/should I teach her?  She's already picking up on  a lot of things that I've been trying to get her to do (and I just got her today!), so she's very smart, just a little hyper.  Can I teach her to guard since she doesn't really bark and seems to love all people right off?  Can I teach her to hunt (I have to teach myself how to do that first too)? 

Also, she's 100% pure, but not registered and not fixed.  Should I breed her or get her fixed?

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
Re: Newest member to my family
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »
Oh yeah, and does anyone know if I can put her poop in the compost?  Some books I've read say no, but others say yes.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:16:29 PM »
I've heard both to.  I personaly do not. 

My boy Otis has gotten into some nasty shit, so I don't even try it.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »
Should this be based off of what they eat?  FWIW, she only eats what is given to her, dog food and treats.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »
Should this be based off of what they eat?  FWIW, she only eats what is given to her, dog food and treats.

Otis rarely eats meat scraps except for the occasional chicken nuggets that the kids slip him.  But when I pick up his poo from the yard, I have seen every thing from rubber bands to tin foil.  Might be jus my dog though. 

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:44:58 PM »
LOL.  Tin foil goes over the brain to protect the thoughts!

I think maybe I'll skip, I don't feel like looking that closely at her poop, besides, that's the kids' job.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:37:35 AM »
Otis rarely eats meat scraps except for the occasional chicken nuggets that the kids slip him.  But when I pick up his poo from the yard, I have seen every thing from rubber bands to tin foil.  Might be jus my dog though. 

No, your dog isn't the only one... my dog get's into stuff too and I don't even have a back yard... one time he chewed up one of his toys and there was stuffing everywhere. I thought I got it all but for three days he pooped out white fuzz.

As for training your dog I really am not sure. I had these ideas to train my dog to do all sorts of great things and it just hasn't happened.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:33:55 AM »
I am pretty sure all dogs do this...... I have quit giving my dog anything with fuzz in it..... Stopped giving him ones with squeakers in it too...... Even on the stuffing-less toys, he will chew out the sqeaker..... Dogs kill me! But man do I love them! I have had danglers connected just by string and fuzz that have had to be removed! After doing that about two or three times, I threw away all the fuzz filled toys!

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:50:37 AM »
I have had danglers connected just by string and fuzz that have had to be removed!

You ain't kidding.  And they look they give you when you have go get it is classic.  You think he would learn.  But no.  he dropped a deuce that was half poo, half saran wrap or something like it today.  That is going to be what gets him in the end.