Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Where to start?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tactical Badger:
Whatever you do...don't buy an HT as your first radio.  Buy a decent mobile unit.  An HT will only piss you off. ;D

The Wilderness:

--- Quote from: Tactical Badger on July 02, 2009, 08:28:39 PM ---Whatever you do...don't buy an HT as your first radio.  Buy a decent mobile unit.  An HT will only piss you off. ;D

--- End quote ---

Tactical Badger could you elaborate on this please ? Sis and I are going to test in a week or so and planned on HT's as our first radios. We are planning on using them primarily to communicate in the event of an earthquake and are both on foot rather than mobile. We intend on getting mobile units and a base sometime in the future.

TW

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: The Wilderness on July 02, 2009, 08:42:21 PM ---Tactical Badger could you elaborate on this please ? Sis and I are going to test in a week or so and planned on HT's as our first radios. We are planning on using them primarily to communicate in the event of an earthquake and are both on foot rather than mobile. We intend on getting mobile units and a base sometime in the future.

TW

--- End quote ---
I'm guessing he's talking about the improved functionality & ability to reach out farther that a mobile offers over an HT.  Once you find out how much fun (but limited) an HT is, you'll wish you had more to play with.

At this point I'd have to agree.  An HT is a good start though, it let's you get into the hobby for not much money.  Though there are some good inexpensive (but excellent quality) 2M mobiles out there that will do the same thing, plus offer you more functionality.

Tactical Badger:

--- Quote from: DeltaEchoVictor on July 02, 2009, 09:11:42 PM ---I'm guessing he's talking about the improved functionality & ability to reach out farther that a mobile offers over an HT.  Once you find out how much fun (but limited) an HT is, you'll wish you had more to play with.

At this point I'd have to agree.  An HT is a good start though, it let's you get into the hobby for not much money.  Though there are some good inexpensive (but excellent quality) 2M mobiles out there that will do the same thing, plus offer you more functionality.

--- End quote ---

Exactly!

I LOVE my Yaesu VX-6R.  I use it a lot for scanning.  And I have used it for some limited contact work.  But, yes, you'll wish in a real hurry you had more power.  5 Watts just doesn't seem to have much punch. You can make it work a little better by using an external antenna.  You're still probably going to be wanting more power though. 

You're absolutely right about having an HT for when you're on foot.  And, I normally carry my HT with me all the time.  But, counting on hitting repeaters all of the time is probably not the safest bet.  You need to be able to carry on simplex comm's.

If you can swing it, I'd get both an HT and a Mobile.  Yaesu is running a special on their FT-2800'sriht now.  You shouldbe able to pickthem up for $130.  It's a really good radio in my extremely limit experience.  And, 65 Watts will make comm's MUCH easier.  I drag my back and forth fromthe car to the house and use it as my base station. 

My Humble Opinion

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote ---Yaesu is running a special on their FT-2800'sriht now.  You shouldbe able to pickthem up for $130.  It's a really good radio in my extremely limit experience.  And, 65 Watts will make comm's MUCH easier.
--- End quote ---
The FT-2800M is what I have in my Cherokee.  I can cover the entire county with it & hit repeaters 30-50 miles away easily.  My antenna has a 3db gain though too.  A good antenna is just as important as a good radio TW, that can't be overstated.

If you can stand to wait for a bit longer the newer version of the 2800M will be coming out soon.  It's the FT-2900R, it'll be pushing 75 watts with the same mil-std. rugged design as the 2800M.  I'm planning on picking one up as soon as they're available & moving my 2800M to Tina's car since she has her ticket now.

For handhelds we have the VX-170's, I bought a pair for Tina & I.  They're great little water proof radios but I wish I'd bought the dual band version now for the added functionality & added repeater options.  I'm not in any way displeased with their performance, I just wish I had the extra frequency options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version