Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Modern Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines

Ruger PC Carbine 9mm Carbine

<< < (6/8) > >>

Carl:

--- Quote from: NWPilgrim on January 10, 2018, 07:23:20 AM ---What did you think of them?  Reliable?  Just for fun or practical for home defense?

--- End quote ---

I had fun with them (9MM and 45 ACP) for personal defence,either was very capable , I harvested many DEER and smaller game with either ,though gave an edge to the .45 ACP. I only found fault with the 'rubber' recoil bar at the back of the receiver as they would wear a bit with recoil,time,cleaning and lubricating oils and chemicals...I replaced them every 5,000 to 10,000 rounds to avoid little 'bits' getting into the recoil operated bolt and magazine and gumming up the works ( I found a hardwood dowel also worked well,though not as long lived) most springs and such were good for several hundred thousand rounds.

With modern ammo,either is plenty capable for any game here in the South. I should not have sold them to my cousin for $350 for BOTH ,but he is family and I have many more to take their place and he is enjoying the butter smooth actions that you only get from such high mileage weapons.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Carl on January 10, 2018, 09:59:24 AM ---I had fun with them (9MM and 45 ACP) for personal defence,either was very capable , I harvested many DEER and smaller game with either ,though gave an edge to the .45 ACP. I only found fault with the 'rubber' recoil bar at the back of the receiver as they would wear a bit with recoil,time,cleaning and lubricating oils and chemicals...I replaced them every 5,000 to 10,000 rounds to avoid little 'bits' getting into the recoil operated bolt and magazine and gumming up the works ( I found a hardwood dowel also worked well,though not as long lived) most springs and such were good for several hundred thousand rounds.

With modern ammo,either is plenty capable for any game here in the South. I should not have sold them to my cousin for $350 for BOTH ,but he is family and I have many more to take their place and he is enjoying the butter smooth actions that you only get from such high mileage weapons.

--- End quote ---

I still have the camp 9. And, that recoil block , the original, will break down from age in storage, left a bunch of "cookie crumbs" in it. The repalcements are blue and a different material, supposed to last better in storage, I have a spare now too.

Carl:
  My guns were 'rental' guns that I let people use on the range for cost of ammo,this is how I know a Glock 17 will not wears out the barrel with in excess of a million rounds though it needed springs replaced every 150,000 rounds or when they broke...well beyond the 1500 rounds suggested for 'duty' guns.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: Carl on January 10, 2018, 09:59:24 AM ---I had fun with them (9MM and 45 ACP) for personal defence,either was very capable , I harvested many DEER and smaller game with either ,though gave an edge to the .45 ACP. I only found fault with the 'rubber' recoil bar at the back of the receiver as they would wear a bit with recoil,time,cleaning and lubricating oils and chemicals...I replaced them every 5,000 to 10,000 rounds to avoid little 'bits' getting into the recoil operated bolt and magazine and gumming up the works ( I found a hardwood dowel also worked well,though not as long lived) most springs and such were good for several hundred thousand rounds.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm not crying for someone with a BAR, my friend!   ;D  The Marlins are merchandise but some like the BAR are legends and history.  I was just getting one of my Garands ready for the next range trip and admiring the pure classic utility and beauty of a WWII weapon.

Anyway, you got me thinking about a Ruger Carbine now.  Sounds useful and fun.

NWPilgrim:

--- Quote from: Carl on January 10, 2018, 11:10:24 AM ---  My guns were 'rental' guns that I let people use on the range for cost of ammo,this is how I know a Glock 17 will not wears out the barrel with in excess of a million rounds though it needed springs replaced every 150,000 rounds or when they broke...well beyond the 1500 rounds suggested for 'duty' guns.

--- End quote ---

That cetinly speks well for the MAArlin's and Glocks durability.  I wonder why the Camp carbines were discontinued?  Was it about the same time the AR15 was becoming popular (mostly after the AWB)? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version