Archived Boards (Read-Only) > 13Skills.com

Chem's 1 in 15 Ham Plan

<< < (11/11)

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on June 30, 2016, 04:12:32 PM ---I bought the gear to do a mobile install in my sedan. The home FT-2900 is going in the car and next month (in July) I will buy the home base station! Debating on an HF rig and separate VHF/UHF or just one of the "it does everything " radios.

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Really the main upside to getting an all-in-one, all mode rig is you can do SSB on 2 meters.
It's often cheaper to get a basic HF 160-10m and a separate dual band vhf+uhf mobile.

I have an old ham swap meet rig that works ok.  It's missing some modern features and has some quirks, but I paid only $275 and could easily get $300 for it with some effort.

If I had $700 to spend on a new HF rig, I'd probably get an FT-450D or an IC-718.  If the prices are the same or close, the yaesu has an edge, as it has a built-in auto tuner and does 6 meters.  I wish I could still get an IC-7200, as they seem right up my ally for field use, but they are discontinued, and have now increased in price as if they are some cult icon.

While I don't like a lot of the software menus in many rigs, if I went higher end to something like an FT-991 or even an IC-7300, I would quickly get over it.  I really like the band scopes on these higher end models.  If you use PSK31, you know what I'm talking about, but these are built-in to the rig, and cover a broader spectrum.  The added filters could allow you to hear what another rig cannot.

Carl:
Also the radio is just a very small part of the cost of using 2 meter and 440 UHF SINGLE SIDEBAND as you will need a rotator and HORIZONTAL beam antennas and usually a power amplifier to operate in a lonely band that few use or go to the cost of doing right...my MINIMAL SSB antenna ,rotator and used 30 foot tower cost about $1000 ...without the low loss coax,$900 dollar amplifier and additional cost of the radio...and I don't like the failure rate of the NEW ,all band ,all mode radios as a single output circuit just does not handle the stress of FM well.

I like 2 meter SSB ,but the return of investment is minimal when compared to using HF. I don't discourage people using 2 SSB,but unless the commit to some costly specialized antenna ,rotor,and amplifier...often they will give up.SSB is more 'private' and capable of long range ...but there is no easy button to achieving effectiveness.

Rant over. :)

Bradbn4:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on June 30, 2016, 01:50:35 PM ---Finally got my Extra, with a whole 24 hours to spare before the Extra Class test pool changed! It feels weird not feeling compelled to study in spare moments.

--- End quote ---

When I passed the test I did think; now what will I do in my spare time.  I missed a clean sweep by one question for all three tests, but was sure happy when it was completed.

No new shinny, bling, bling toys for me right now...too busy getting my old SUV back into like new condition.  New set of tires was not cheap...

But this hardware does look sweet...I guess it is time to setup a good 'mad fund' for non-normal budget items.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/HF-6M-Radios/Icom-IC-7300.html

Alan Georges:

--- Quote from: Chemsoldier on June 30, 2016, 01:50:35 PM ---Finally got my Extra, with a whole 24 hours to spare before the Extra Class test pool changed! It feels weird not feeling compelled to study in spare moments.

--- End quote ---
Congrats Chem!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version