Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The .22 Caliber Rifle: An Essential Homestead Firearm

"Savage Model 187 Series A" .22LR

<< < (4/5) > >>

d3nni5:
Let's start with what I did to the stock.

Above are a couple of "before" images, but I think this pic best illustrates what I'm working with.

It appears to be a lacquered finish or painted or something.   You could see the wood grain through it, but it is obviously not stained....evidenced by the scratches and chips that have been taken out.

My buddy and I were talking about what type of wood it may be, and why it was finished this way as apposed to a good staining.  We are pretty sure it is not walnut.  But I honestly don't know how to tell.  It is still up in the air whether I will stain, dye, paint this stock.   I don't want to stain it if it ends up blotchy and looking half assed.   Dying it may penetrate better and give it a deeper color.   I can always paint over it if I screw up :).

But first thing is first....I stripped it down and sanded it with 100 grit for about 1.5 hours today.   I'm not finished working with it,  but I felt like I got to a good place to stop today.

d3nni5:
I tore down as much of it as I could easily.   Look at how cruddy it is....

I got it soaking in Ballistol right now.   This, only after I scrubbed on it and got as much of it off as I could.

I do have a blemish to deal with.   I had this thing coated in solvent and it slipped right out of my hands onto the garage floor!!!    I cussed a few minutes, picked it up and worked it over a little to smooth out the ding.   I got to give it some more love.   Then I will blue it.   Should not be "too" noticeable if I do it right.

ArmedRealtor:
 Greetings and salutations friends, this is my first post on the forum.

I received a Savage 187 from my grandmothers estate 20+ years ago. I took it to the range about 6 years ago and when I pulled the trigger I got a surprise... pop, pop, pop, pop, then I let go of the trigger. My club has a strict rule that if your gun shoots more than one bullet per pull of the trigger, you must put it away immediately and take it for repair. Several guys around me immediately recognized the sound and quickly converged on me. I said “I’m putting it away right now” to which they replied “Try that and see if it does it again”. They prodded me on and we shot a couple pulls of the trigger. Then the gun would jam every third or fourth round and it just became a pain the ass.

Brought it home and disassembled it, cleaning the gun like it had not been cleaned in 50 years. I opened up YouTube to get video on how to reassemble. The only video I could find the guy halfway disassembled it and said do not take this gun apart any further than this.... oops, now he tells me.

After all the parts being in a bag for several years I’m ready to give it a shot. In the meantime I have re-blued the barrel and have started refinishing the stock. I can’t figure out how to post pictures of the stock, this is my very first post on the forum. Help me Rhonda, help, help me Rhonda!

Jim

Mr. Bill:
Greetings and welcome, ArmedRealtor!

--- Quote from: ArmedRealtor on October 01, 2019, 10:27:36 AM ---I can’t figure out how to post pictures of the stock

--- End quote ---

We do it the old-fashioned way.  You find someplace to host your image online, and then you post its URL here.

--- Code: ---[img]http://example.com/myimage.jpg[/img]
--- End code ---

ArmedRealtor:
Thanks for the welcome..

Please understand I have this marvelous talent of overlooking the obvious. One of my ex girlfriends called me “Captain Obvious”...lol

I am getting an irregular pattern in the wood when staining. I am pretty sure the stock was either Red Oak or Cherry because when stripped had a red huge to it. Not sure how well the patterns will show up in photos but here they are. The main stock is stained in MinWax Golden Oak and the checkering is in Espresso. I thought the Birchwood & Casey Walnut Stain was too dark but planning on a couple of coats of Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish... unless someone can point me in a better direction. This is my first stock refinish so open to any/all suggestions (as well as how to put this damned thing back together :-)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1G_tnC5tH2pPr9VI-gY298RNeKm5hrTY5

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version