Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Preps

Making Biltong and storage

<< < (2/7) > >>

nelson96:

--- Quote from: lhunt on December 28, 2013, 12:14:27 PM ---The advantage I see biltong has is that it takes a lot less energy input to make and when properly stored can have a shelf life of decades. Disadvantage of biltong is it takes a minimum of a week to make.
--- End quote ---

Jerky takes less energy to make in a wood smoker and can store for a very long time as well.  I wonder how many people in the U.S. making biltong store it for decades?  Jerky around my house is gone in a flash.  Jerky takes less than 24 hours to make (from brine to finish).

lhunt:
ha! it barely lasts a week for me 'cause i eat it too quick! :) i gotta learn to smoke... meats that is!

lhunt:
i guess the only other advantage biltong has then is if you dont have a dehydrator or smoker you can do biltong. i dont have a smoker but do have a dehydrator. i have to say jerky has the edge when it comes to flavor and tenderness.

nelson96:
I've never made or even eaten biltong.  I'm going to have to try it.  But for now, I see no need to replace something as good as the jerky I make.  I don't understand the difference of the two, other than the simplicity required of making the biltong.

allofthemonkeys:
The cabinet that you described sounds just like the one my grandparents have had since the 70's.  It served them well all this time.  I was offered it, but I didn't have a truck to move it the couple of states away to where I live.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version