Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Preps

question about purchasing half cow - Right board?

<< < (2/8) > >>

nelson96:
Unless you already have all the meat processing equipment I would think it would be tough to get a good return on investment versus having the butcher cut it up for you.  My butcher charges .37/lb to custom cut however we want it.  And I would think that the $4.50/lb you were quoted includes beef/kill/custom cut. . . .  This is a whole lot cheaper than buying in the store.  Go price roasts, t-bones, filet, and all the other expensive cuts at the store.

My family has their favorite cuts (t-bone for BBQ, hamburger of course, roasts, etc.) but if you find yourself with cuts you don't know what to do with, how hard is it to throw any kind of roast in the pot, or throw any cut of steak on the BBQ?  We don't care for eating round steak as a steak, so we cut it in to pieces and cook soups, stews, and stir fry with it.

nelson96:

--- Quote from: Morning Sunshine on March 23, 2012, 02:41:08 PM ---uh, I have a confession.  I do not know how to use those other cuts.  the ribs, the tenderloin, the whatevers sit in my freezer cuz I am afraid of ruining the "good" cuts with my inexpertise.  probably the reason we don't do steaks either.  :D

--- End quote ---

Tenderloin??? . . . .  I'll take them.

The butcher will create whatever cuts you ask for, and if you don't know what to ask for he'll make recommendations and answer questions on how to use them. . . . .  Anything you don't want, he'll grind in to hamburger for you.

Nicodemus:
We bought in on a half a grass fed beef at the beginning of last year for $3.50 a pound. That was hanging weight. It may look like you're taking a beating on the cheaper meat, but overall it was cheaper than what we'd pay at the supermarket especially when you start taking into consideration the pricier cuts. And when we consider that this beef is antibiotic free, hormone free and grass fed, the outlook on price only gets better.

We blew it on the order form for requested cuts though. We should have been more specific because we had to repackage a lot of it.

Things to keep in mind
Some roasts can be left whole or cut into steaks or cutlets.
If you don't like or use stew meat, chuck or round roasts, brisket and a few other cuts these can be made into ground beef.

There's a whole lot more, but this is the best I can do off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find our order form from last year.

nelson96:
Too bad you guys don't live near me.  I sell my Black Angus beef for $3.25/lb and that includes Kill/Cut/Wrap. . . .  Maybe I need to raise my prices. . . .  Hmmmmm.

Nicodemus:
If I did live near you, I would buy from you!

Ummm, where do you live?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version