Author Topic: Cool hike  (Read 3744 times)

haldo

Cool hike
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:08:52 PM »
I went for a little hike this afternoon with my dog.  Saw a nice limb and cut it with my multitool.  as I was walking I started making a 3 stick deadfall.  Ive seen it in the FM 2176 for the last 30 years and watched survivorman fumble with it unsuccessfully.  I havent tried it but when my wife saw the sticks she asked if they were trash.  I showed her what I had done and she was amazed.

It takes alot of fine tuning but once you have made one you will be proud, check it out.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
Re: Cool hike
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 09:47:52 PM »
I had my girlfriend's (now fiancee) parents and family over for dinner one night. We where goofing around after dinner playing with the kittens with a string on a  stick. Ended up breaking the stick at one point.

Me, being me, started whittling away at it. I grabbed a rubbermaid tote, turned it upside down, and made a couple of figure 4 deadfalls out of the tote. some worked better then others.

Her dad was having a blast as I was catching my kittens in the tote-trap.

it's lots of fun. thanks for bringing back that memory!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:24 PM »
OK, now I have to ask..... How do you get the sticks to balance on each other? where do you whittle?

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 10:10:08 PM »
Your atlatl in your avatar is halfway there already.

I may have to dig out some scrap wood and video tape one, but I will give it a shot using words.

you have 3 pieces, that you stand up and notch into a shape of a 4.

Starting with the upright. You make a notch halfway through in the middle. You also make a flat point (think chisel) at the top.
The horizontal piece, you make a notch halfway through in the middle. This notch matches up with the upright notch, so the two mate together. You also make a whistle shaped cut near one end - cut straight into the piece, and then take a long shallow notch into your straight cut.
The cross piece. You make a chisel point on one end, and a whistle cut near the other. You want a few inches past the whistle cut.

Now, the assembly.
Take your heavy deadfall object, rock, log, rubbermaid tote, tip that up with your first hand.
Take the upright, hold it up with your second hand.
Take the crosspeice, stick the whistle cut into the chisel point of the upright with your third hand.
With your fourth hand, mate the notch with the horizontal into the notch in the upright. The chisel point in the crosspiece should mate into the whistle cut in the horizontal piece.
When you let the weight rest on the end of the cross piece, it will act like a lever pivoting on the upright, trying to pull the horizontal notch out of the upright notch.

This is a very precarious balancing act, hence, why you need to use all four of your hands to do this. When a critter tries to get the bait off of the free end of the horizontal end, it will wiggle the horizontal arm, causing it to either come apart at the mated notches, or at the opposite end, and the whole trap comes crashing down on your dinner, or my kittens as the situation dictates.

It takes a bit of trial and error to get the proportions right for each piece and also how big the notches are. If the notches and whistle cuts are too shallow, even six or seven hands won't let you set the trap. If you make the notches and cuts too deep, it's too hard for the critter to knock the trap apart and have it come down on them.

Does this sound about how you made yours Haldo?

** Note, no kittens where injured in the making of this post**

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »
Hmm, I'll have to try this with my kids....
But I have not had that many hands since I was dating in high school.... Or so the girls I dated told me...

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:42:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKNZIZTLDRc

A better video then what I could put together.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:55:23 AM »
As many people as I have seen build a figure four trap...Ron Hood is the only one where I walked away saying..."I can do that".
If you're in Netflix, check out the Ron Hood Woodsmaster DVD they have.  It's only an overview DVD, but it's pretty good.