Author Topic: Potential resident with questions  (Read 395 times)

Offline SYCABO

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Potential resident with questions
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Hello everybody.

My wife and I are strongly considering making a big change, thanks to job related stuff, and I was hoping to get some advice and information from some people with experience and info.  Anything useful would be greatly appreciated!

My wife and I live in Northeastern Oklahoma, kinda on the edge of where the hills and mounts are starting to flatten out.  Lots of lakes, damns, etc., and ups and downs in the terrain.  The area where we are considering is in western Kansas, in the High Prarie, out toward the Colorado border. 

My questions are, do we have a good prepper/modern survivalist/self-reliance presence in that general area?

What sort of unique features of the area should I know about before moving out that way?  The low population is slightly inconvience in that it creates limitation of access to some resources, like Lowes or Home Depot, but we're willing to overlook that type of thing since there is a lot of small communities that tend to serve eachother, unlike the big city chain stores that draw away from local business.

I've already looked at some of the figures on rainfall and all that, but I live somewhere that just about anywhere you go you could build a pond by just damming up a seasonal stream and leaving it alone, so the flatness and very low percentage of water to land is outside of my comfort zone...

I'm sure I'll think of more, at another time but I'd hate to turn this into a really long post where it looks like I'm just not researching anything and making you guys do all my work for me. lol.  We're looking at all the real estate properties in the area already and it's definitely a different world.

Thanks guys!

Offline Arkie444

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Potential resident with questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 06:40:29 AM »
That's why I am logged in here too.  I just wanted to know if there is a regional meetup or geographically organized aspect to this forum.  I am in the ozarks, NW arkansas.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
...I just wanted to know if there is a regional meetup or geographically organized aspect to this forum. ...

The forum doesn't officially organize meetups, but sometimes the members do.  See: Region 6 Meet & Greet Information.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »
A little late to the party, but as a former Kansas kid, and with parents still there, be ready for weather extremes. Thunderstorms are usually bad and blizzards are worse. Lots of nothing for miles (good thing sometimes) and usually dry. Low population density as well. Be prepared to count travel by hours not miles.

That said, the communities are usually pretty accepting of people as long as you don’t try to change them. My wife is from a small town (200 or less) and although they do community things, an outsider is an outsider for years.
It’s been a long time since I looked at property values but it used to be fairly affordable.

If you moved there, welcome!
RipT