Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Roman plumbata darts - interesting ancient weapon

<< < (2/4) > >>

Cedar:
I think I have seen something similar to those at SCA events. Nice work there.. good job

Cedar

mxitman:

Lawn darts, are similar to the ancient Roman plumbata. they were popular here in the US as an outdoor family game, thrown underhand in an arc. Too many kids got hurt over the years and one little girl died in 1987 so they eventually got banned. They have a cult following, and can see high prices for complete sets when they can be found.

I love what you made, those would be cool to have and practice with.

David in MN:
I'm imagining the horror of a unit of 100 Romans (Centurians, get it?) each chucking 5 of these at my group. 500 nasty little darts before the fight really begins.

I think we gloss over how quick and efficient the old world killing machines were.

theBINKYhunter:

--- Quote from: David in MN on August 03, 2015, 08:22:40 PM ---I think we gloss over how quick and efficient the old world killing machines were.

--- End quote ---

I think about this a lot. There were some really brutal and effective methods of battle back in the day.

Marinesg1012:

--- Quote from: David in MN on August 03, 2015, 08:22:40 PM ---I'm imagining the horror of a unit of 100 Romans (Centurians, get it?) each chucking 5 of these at my group. 500 nasty little darts before the fight really begins.

I think we gloss over how quick and efficient the old world killing machines were.

--- End quote ---

Plus their throwing spears which were designed to bend after impact so they couldnt be thrown back, and of course the entire purpose of the system was to close with and STAB the enemy in the gut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version