Farm, Garden and The Land > Live Stock, Critters and Aquaculture

Getting Rid of Stray Cats... Ethically

<< < (2/12) > >>

Hurricane:
Dog?

If you can fence your yard, a dog inside ought to discourage most cats. 

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: mountainmoma on October 22, 2018, 02:18:56 PM ---No matter your opinion, you cannot contain a cat like a dog, so no, it is not considered the owners responsibility to keep their cat out of your yard.  If you trap and relocate cats you know to be someone elses pets, you can and should be prosecuted.  If you have a real issue, go thru animal control. 

--- End quote ---
I think this is directed at me.  Everything I did was through animal control.  I contacted them when the cats became a problem.  I was instructed to catch them and to call animal control to collect them.  If they are pets, they are required in this county to have a collar with a license attached.  None that I caught and had animal control pick up had collars.  And when I spoke to the people feeding them, I was told that they were just feeding strays.

KellyAnn:
I wish I knew the best answer to this question.
The apartment complex I live in has a MASSIVE population of stray cats, at least 50 or 60.  Probably more.
There are some "do-gooders" that leave plates of food out for them.  I do what I can, and go around collecting the food and throwing it in the trash, I've tried talking rationally to the people doing this, I've tried shouting irrationally at them.  The police don't care, because the people are putting the food on the apartment complex's side of the fence (feeding cats on the other side of the fence would be a violation) and our complex won't press charges.
I don't want to poison these cats, I'm not that sort of person, but I'd love to find something to make the food less palatable.  Cayenne pepper maybe?  Something that'll make the cats and other critters think "yuck" instead of "yum".

It's not just the cats that are the problem.
It's that with the cats come the skunks and the raccoons, and rabies.  Our family doesn't have pets, but a lot of our neighbors do, and some of them have kids that aren't smart enough to leave the critters alone.  I'd hate to see someones cat, dog or child get rabies.
Ironically, a mountain lion probably would help control the population, but as we're adjacent to trail used for walking, jogging and biking, a mountain lion would probably be destroyed or "re-homed" as soon as it was spotted.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: Hurricane on October 22, 2018, 03:40:04 PM ---Dog?

If you can fence your yard, a dog inside ought to discourage most cats.

--- End quote ---

Yes.  Great idea.

mountainmoma:

--- Quote from: KellyAnn on October 22, 2018, 05:36:41 PM ---I wish I knew the best answer to this question.
The apartment complex I live in has a MASSIVE population of stray cats, at least 50 or 60.  Probably more.
There are some "do-gooders" that leave plates of food out for them.  I do what I can, and go around collecting the food and throwing it in the trash, I've tried talking rationally to the people doing this, I've tried shouting irrationally at them.  The police don't care, because the people are putting the food on the apartment complex's side of the fence (feeding cats on the other side of the fence would be a violation) and our complex won't press charges.
I don't want to poison these cats, I'm not that sort of person, but I'd love to find something to make the food less palatable.  Cayenne pepper maybe?  Something that'll make the cats and other critters think "yuck" instead of "yum".

It's not just the cats that are the problem.
It's that with the cats come the skunks and the raccoons, and rabies.  Our family doesn't have pets, but a lot of our neighbors do, and some of them have kids that aren't smart enough to leave the critters alone.  I'd hate to see someones cat, dog or child get rabies.
Ironically, a mountain lion probably would help control the population, but as we're adjacent to trail used for walking, jogging and biking, a mountain lion would probably be destroyed or "re-homed" as soon as it was spotted.

--- End quote ---

They need to be caught and neutered and put back, then they sill stop reproducing.  It is not a police issue, talk to animal control about shots and spay/neuter so this population can stop growing.  That is alot of cats, but causing them more suffering, starvation, does not sound like a good solution. That is what your are trying to do, have them not get fed.  Best practices, from what I am told, is to give them their rabies shots, spay neuter and release to a place where people will feed them to live out their lives without creating more kittens.  That is what all the animal control does out here, and it is working. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version