Community & Regional Connections > Region Seven

Good air in Utah

(1/2) > >>

Thrive:
I'm moving this summer, and need to be within two hours of SLC airport. One hour would be nice, but two works if necessary. Google maps says that can get me to Wendover NV, Evanston WY, Milad ID, and Ephraim or Scipio UT.

I like Logan as it's central - I've reasons to periodically visit Provo, Logan, Jackson WY, and Driggs ID. And yes, Morning Sunshine, I've seen you lobbying for others to move to Cache county.

Problem: UT air quality has a bad reputation and my wife has health challenges that make me very wary of this. Online data suggests that Logan fails this test as does SLC. I understand that the inversions are a fact of life in this area, so the question is - a) where to live that the area under the inversion isn't daily pumped full of toxins, and b) where it won't just blow in from the big metro areas anyway.

Any suggestions?

Good air, good community, good camping, and good place for natural building and living - what more can a person ask for  :)

endurance:
Regarding her health issues, can she handle the altitude long term?  If she's oxygen dependent now, she'll be even more so at elevation, to the point that a failure in her oxygen delivery system could be fatal (recently had a friend's wife die when her Canula became unplugged from the O2 generator).

If she's ok with the altitude, consider getting above the inversion, possibly opening up a lot of stuff that's closer in, but out highway 40 to the east of town in the mountains to the north of town.

Thrive:
Thanks Endurance. Yes, altitude is ok. Continuously breathing toxic soup isn't.

I don't know the area you mentioned out 40, but I'll take a look with google.

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: Thrive on April 18, 2016, 07:02:22 PM ---
I like Logan as it's central - I've reasons to periodically visit Provo, Logan, Jackson WY, and Driggs ID. And yes, Morning Sunshine, I've seen you lobbying for others to move to Cache county.
--- End quote ---

:rofl:

--- Quote ---Problem: UT air quality has a bad reputation and my wife has health challenges that make me very wary of this. Online data suggests that Logan fails this test as does SLC. I understand that the inversions are a fact of life in this area, so the question is - a) where to live that the area under the inversion isn't daily pumped full of toxins, and b) where it won't just blow in from the big metro areas anyway.

Any suggestions?

Good air, good community, good camping, and good place for natural building and living - what more can a person ask for  :)

--- End quote ---

Logan can be bad.  But that being said, there are very few days a year where it is BAD.  I get the impression that the enviro-nuts make it out to be more/worse than it is.  For all the bad press on Cache Valley air, we have the longest longevity for men and dogs in the nation (or so I heard somewhere).
Where I live on the West bench, I look out OVER the top of the smog 90% of "red air days".  I know there are places on the east bench that do as well.

Honestly, if I had to move again, I would move into Box Elder County.  There are some nice places that are 30 min drive to Logan - Brigham City, Mantua, Tremonton and environs.  The one air quality detector in BE county is at the drive through at McD's in Brigham City, so they will tell you that BE is as bad as the rest, but if you know that fact, you can be better informed.

As far as prepping goes, I would say that at least 50% of my greater-area neighbors are "prepping" although none will call it that.  They garden, preserve and store food, sew, quilt, camp, hunt, shoot, farm, raise chickens, etc.

If you come in looking, pm me and we can talk more about details. 

oilman1986:
Hope I'm not too late. Have you thought of Heber? We don't have nearly as bad as SLC or the Provo area. Small town feel with easy access to shopping and about an hour to the airport. Plus I would love to have a TSPer near me. I feel pretty alone up here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version