Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Martial Arts, Unarmed Self Defense, Hand To Hand Combat, and Physical Fitness

Back at it

<< < (2/2)

endurance:
Chem, good on you. I still have yet to get lifting again, but I've resumed some hard cardio, yoga and core work. It feels good.

Chemsoldier:
Lifting 3 days on one day off, I need to do more cardio.

surfivor:

I wanted to mention that playing the drums seems to be a type of exercise that people might not have thought of. I am more a guitarist but I jam on the drums with my neighbor at my BOL who plays guitar. We jam in a cold garage but after playing the drums for a little while I end up having to shed layers .. You have to hit the bass drum with your foot so it's not just arms that move

I would consider joining a gym in the winter for a month or two if I was between contracts. It could be a way to meet people and something different. Some have indoor swimming pools

NWPilgrim:
I had been out of exercising for a few years (office work).  Being over 60 just slacking for a few months I start to lose a lot of condition and strength.  When I retired I decided to get back into more activity.  Started with some long day hikes twice a week, then some bicycling and vigorous yard work (hauling gravel, digging and moving dirt, cutting some trees, etc.).  That helped but still a long ways. 

Then last fall I decided to do some temp labor work to force myself into longer hours of activity. I was working 10 hrs, 6 days a week and in constant motion, squatting, pushing heavy carts, lifting, and working tools. I did some stretching before work, too.  That made a huge difference.  After 2 months I felt 10 yrs younger and way more capable.  Been off a month and going back to a project next month.  In this break I have continued stretching every day which has restored a lot of range of movement and flexibility.  And I am alternating days of simple workouts of calisthenics+walks with kettlebells.  Really making a big difference in trimming the torso, strength and endurance. 

It is so darn hard to get motivated when I am way out of condition.  But after a month or so of working out even a little I start to look forward to it.  I am determined to keep at this and stay in shape so I can have more fun with adult kid s and now grandkids, and be healthy for my wife.  For body exercises I am just doing pushups, crunches, plank, and laying down 'bicycling".  I am working up to being able to do burpees but just doing a very few right now.

My kettlebells/equipment workout is one 54# hand swings, press, and "rowing", along with rubber band chest expander and hand grip.  On the hand grip I seem to have something messed up in one of my left hand fingers/knuckles and forearm so I do much less resistance with that side.  On the right hand I use a 100# spring grip, and probably move up pretty soon.

I am trying to keep my workout simple enough that I will stick with it and not get carried away like I normally do until I injure myself and stop for a long time.  And I am trying to minimize equipment.  I might add a couple of fixed weight dumbells later this year.

I'm saving the the money from the next labor project for a good rowing machine.  I practically grew up learning to row on Puget Sound and have used different machines at various clubs over the years.  I plan to do this and walking as my main cardio several times per week.  I've done spinning, elliptical, and treadmill before but enjoy the rowing much more.

I was thinking of the Concept2 D rower, but now thinking maybe the WaterRower Classic.  It will be a couple of months before I can get one but planning to get a very durable machine.

Any suggestions for your favorite body weight exercise (given constraint for doing just a few types per workout)? Or kettlebell or other "minimalist" equipment exercise?  Or favorite rower?  Thanks!

Chemsoldier:
TRX suspension systems are pretty cool and very versatile.  You can adjust resistance with positioning and angles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version